pigeons "fantail x frillback"

Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! I did a quick search and didn't find an answer. Fantail pigeons and Frillback pigeons can mate, can't they?
I have a male Frillback and haven't been able to find a female. I have just found some Fantails and was going to buy a female.
Thanks!

Sure they can, all breeds of pigeons will mix. You'll probably have to trim the tail feathers on the fantail for the mating to be successful. Should be some cool looking squabs that you'll get.

If I remember right you should get birds with slight twists to the feathers on the wing shields. Its an incomplete dominant trait(I think). They will also have wider tails because they will have a few extra tail feathers.

they are known to be crossed and the frillback gene is dominant. keep breeding the parents to each one of oposite sex that shows most genes you want together.. called line breeding and safe in pigeons. just dont do too much brother to sister over and over inbreeding.. shre your results as im curious to try or know first hand more about working with frillbacks, as fantails were fun before i moved and had to downsize (made my own indian fantasy pigeons before knew they were established breed already).

Please post a pic when possible. I just dreamt of a bird that had a large bouquet of what appeared to be flowers in it's fantail. As a person with no knowledge if birds, ut took me a few days to discover that Indian fantails and frillback pigeons are real. In my dream, it was a pretty pale brown bird with what looked like a big beautiful bouquet of flowers sitting on/ hidden within it's fantail. When they were on full display in my dream, it was something marvelous!

Back
Top Bottom