Pigs

we used to use a large barrel cut up the side so its long and shallow with length of iron welded for "feet" . It has to be heavy and shallow and dont worry, they will tip it over sometimes but if the runners or feet are long enough it will be harder.

I raise pigs in the dry months. I do pasture them as well. We have a skid shelter we can move to where we want the pigs. I usually put the male goats in with them too. Around the perimeter I use a single strand of polywire to keep them in. They are clever and do not like pain. So basically the pigs go wherever John Deere can't.

I have a nipple waterer I use. But in the Summer, they just love to bathe. So I have a tank which is only about 12-18" high and wide. They like to stand in it. So I just end up dumping the whole thing every other day and refilling.

It was definitely a priority to get pigs when we moved to a farm. The only thing that has suffered from having pigs is our compost pile. Absolutely nothing goes to waste on the farm now. We don't have to feel bad about not weeding the garden as well as we should, afterall we can just throw the whole thing to pigs and they'll eat the best bits.

So far we have made our own bacon, fresh sausage, have a proscuttio hanging on the porch, then salami in another couple weeks.

get an old bathtub preferably a cast iron, the pigs will destroy a new fiberglass tub. burry it about half way in the ground. prior to burrying it plumb the drain spout so you can wash it out on occasion.

hi... i keep a few pigs and hogs here we love that pork and we know whats in it . an old bathtub is what i use for water..here is a pic of a gang of pigs that my sow had Xmas eve thay are about 4 or 5 weeks in this pic
Picture010.jpg

All the piggies I get are sired by a Hampshire like those. I find the darker skin ones to be so much hardier. And I don't care what color the skin on my ham is.

Back
Top Bottom