Pinless Peepers?

Jun 9, 2021
Colorado
Hello everyone.
I have a mean chicken named Penny, and she has been very mean and is not expecting a pullet into the flock. I am wondering if I should try pinless peepers first, or If I should try separating her out of sight from the other flock for two days or so? I have heard that separating them will knock them down the pecking order which will help but Penny is the lowest in the pecking order. TIA

Yes, I read the lowest ones can be quite mean. are peepers cruel?
You put the holders into their nostrils and they cannot see in front of them. You'll have to decide for yourself how you feel. I will say that a lot of people use them on here, but personally I will not use them. Of course, it doesn't help that my meanest girl is literally blind most of the way

You put the holders into their nostrils and they cannot see in front of them. You'll have to decide for yourself how you feel. I will say that a lot of people use them on here, but personally I will not use them. Of course, it doesn't help that my meanest girl is literally blind most of the way
If I were to separate her for a day or two out of sight, would it help? I might try that before the peepers.

If I were to separate her for a day or two out of sight, would it help? I might try that before the peepers.
It might. It might not. The issue is that pullets are not considered part of the flock until they lay most times, so she isn't going to see her as part of the flock, just competition

It might. It might not. The issue is that pullets are not considered part of the flock until they lay most times, so she isn't going to see her as part of the flock, just competition
So should I just let them work it out? it is hard to watch and penny will just nonstop run after her and peck her. She Should start laying any day. She is 25 weeks.

I would separate the bully to see if that changes her attitude. I had two meanies that just wouldn’t stop. I’m one of those people who swore I would never use Pinless Peepers, but I finally did. It was down to having to rehome or cull the bullies who were both excellent layers. Pinless Peepers actually brought peace to the flock. They get used to them fairly quickly but it does make it more difficult for them to peck and attack the others. I found applying them to be a two-person job. I held the hen and my son applied the peepers. So I would suggest enlisting a chicken buddy if you decide to try them.

Back
Top Bottom