Pip! Pip! Hurray! (Update: NEED HELP!)

livin-green

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Clay, Alabama
The chickies are coming! The chickies are coming!!
wee.gif

This our first ever incubation and hatch, and we have a pip on one of our Ameraucana eggs! It's one day early--we're only on Day 20 as of 2:30pm today. I checked at 5:30pm and found the pip. We did have a problem with the bator running a tad hot on one side in the beginning. The motor on the auto. turner was heating up one side of the bator too much. We moved all the eggs over to the the center and far side, and it seemed to stabilize. Hopefully, it didn't mess up the hatch.

I do have a question. Where on the egg do they usually "pip"? I thought it was usually towards the top--does this one seem kinda' low? Or does that even matter? Sorry for such a newbie question--I've just never seen a chick hatch!

9107_dsc082421.jpg

**edited to change title asking for help!

Last edited:
Quote:
Ha! You're a funny one.
tongue2.gif

Thanks for the insight--sounds like something I'd say!

Quote:
DIDDO
smile.png

Thanks to you guys, too. This is all new to me....reassurance never hurt anyone!
Being a first-timer, I'm so anxious to see how it all goes. It's great to have a place like this to chat about it all. I only have one friend who has also been bitten by the "chicken bug"....everybody else looks at me kinda' funny when I go on and on about our chickens!
lol.png

Yes, it might. When I opened up my shipped eggs, I had several that were so perfectly oval that I had no idea which end was up! I had to candle them to find the air sac. That's why it has the little "x" on top. I hope I didn't goof on this one!
hu.gif

Seriously, when I candled them again at Day 18, I could clearly see the air sac at the top, so no worries....yet! Please, please, please let me have lots of little fuzz butts!
love.gif

Last edited:
You are fine...they pip thru the air cell and usually start zipping the membrane on the side of the egg and all looks well with your little pip there.

Only thing I'd do is take it out of the carton and lay it on its side so it can KICK out when the zipping is done. It is a good idea to take them all out of the cartons/turners at day 20 anyways...so go ahead and remove the carton all together and while you are at it add some water to bring your humidity back up from opening the bator!!

Congratulations!!
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm confused--I thought if you used the egg carton method for hatching that you just left it in there. I read numerous posts about this, and nobody said anything about taking them out. Did I miss something?
idunno.gif

My temp & humidity is dead consistent....I hate to open the thing and mess that all up. I've been using an air tube to add water, so I haven't opened the bator but 3 times since I set them a little over 20 days ago.

Back
Top Bottom