Pipd's Peeps!

Baby 7 out of the silkied Cochins seemed unwell this morning. He's lost weight (which is scary, not much weight to be lost on a little guy like that!) and his little comb is wilty, and he seemed to just want to hunch in the corner. I thought at first that it was coccidiosis, but he has none of the textbook symptoms other than hunching, which they do when they feel sick in general, and none of the other chicks are unwell.

On closer inspection, it would appear he's having an issue with his tongue. It keeps falling back down his throat. This is the second time I've had a chick do this at about the same age and for no apparent reason. The first one was Vander, known as Vida at the time because I thought he was a pullet. I fortunately know how to tube feed efficiently now, so I don't have to try and spoon feed this little guy like I did with Vander. I tubed fluids into him this morning to start, and he perked up almost immediately and began trying to peck with the other chicks at the spilled feed on the floor of the brooder, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Not sure what's causing the issue, though. 🤔 Hopefully, like Vander, this guy will eventually grow out of it and become self-sufficient with eating again.

Everyone else is happy and healthy near as I can tell! The little no-leg-band Barred Rock bantam had me a bit concerned yesterday because she was a bit noisy and felt a bit lighter than the others, but I showed her the food and she's picked up on the concept of eating and is catching up with the other now. 😁
I treat with corid when I see this.

It can't hurt them and often saves them. Tube feed some of the corid treated water a couple times a day.

Sometimes one will get very sick while the others do not show symptoms. I go through the complete two week treatment regimen for all of them.

What about the tongue thing, though? I have actually had to push his tongue back up out of his throat a few times today. It won't hurt to give him corid, no, and I do always have some on hand so can do. I'm assuming he's unwell primarily because he can't eat because of his tongue doing weird things, though. 🤔

What about the tongue thing, though? I have actually had to push his tongue back up out of his throat a few times today. It won't hurt to give him corid, no, and I do always have some on hand so can do. I'm assuming he's unwell primarily because he can't eat because of his tongue doing weird things, though. 🤔
I think he is very sick which can make the tongue do weird things. casportpony has instructions for giving them strong corid via tube feeding for situations like that.

Electrolytes are very low so a bit of that will help too.

Getting the medicine and water into him is crucial.

The cysts, if he has them, rip up the stomach lining-- which is indicated by the comb.

Okay, gotcha! Good to know!

This came on so suddenly, whew! I hope I've caught it in time! :fl He's fortunately not one of the birds I was absolutely set on keeping, but it's still upsetting to see these babies not feeling well. 🥺

Okay, gotcha! Good to know!

This came on so suddenly, whew! I hope I've caught it in time! :fl He's fortunately not one of the birds I was absolutely set on keeping, but it's still upsetting to see these babies not feeling well. 🥺
I know!

Corid is like magic so hopefully he will be back up and running around quickly

Well, I took a spin up to the brooder room to check on them and... he seems totally fine now. :th Crop full, comb standing back up, running around with the others like nothing happened. His chin / throat area where the tongue sits seems puffier than the other chicks, but that's the only indicator I had that he was the one having issues this morning. Now I don't even know what to think! 🤔

I primarily went up there because I heard a lot of peeping and shuffling around and was concerned by that with the new babies in there as well (in their own brooder, of course!). As it turns out, the 'big kids' were chasing a fly around their brooder like the pack of vicious velociraptors they are. 🤣 Silly babies!

Well, I took a spin up to the brooder room to check on them and... he seems totally fine now. :th Crop full, comb standing back up, running around with the others like nothing happened. His chin / throat area where the tongue sits seems puffier than the other chicks, but that's the only indicator I had that he was the one having issues this morning. Now I don't even know what to think! 🤔

I primarily went up there because I heard a lot of peeping and shuffling around and was concerned by that with the new babies in there as well (in their own brooder, of course!). As it turns out, the 'big kids' were chasing a fly around their brooder like the pack of vicious velociraptors they are. 🤣 Silly babies!
Keep an eye on them and if you see the scrunching down symptoms, give them corid.

Chickens can be weird!

Well, it's been an interesting few days with Baby 7. He was fine the rest of Friday, and then Saturday morning his tongue had fallen back down his throat again. I was massaging his neck to get it back in place, when he went limp and started to go dusky like he couldn't breathe. It felt like forever of me massaging his throat desperately until he finally coughed and his tongue popped back into his mouth. :th He was a bit weak for a minute or two, but eventually got back to his feet. I tubed baby bird hand feeding formula into him to give him a boost, and he was fine the rest of the day and ate and drank on his own.

Sunday morning, his tongue had fallen back again, but popped back into place easily. I tube fed him again just to be safe, but again, he was fine the rest of the day.

This morning, his tongue was actually still in his mouth and he'd eaten on his own by the time I would have tubed him, so I left him be. What a rollercoaster! :th

He hasn't been hunched or anything, so I haven't started the corid yet... I'm just puzzled as to why he can't seem to keep his tongue in his mouth consistently. 🤔 Another weirdo for the books, I guess. 🤣

Well, it's been an interesting few days with Baby 7. He was fine the rest of Friday, and then Saturday morning his tongue had fallen back down his throat again. I was massaging his neck to get it back in place, when he went limp and started to go dusky like he couldn't breathe. It felt like forever of me massaging his throat desperately until he finally coughed and his tongue popped back into his mouth. :th He was a bit weak for a minute or two, but eventually got back to his feet. I tubed baby bird hand feeding formula into him to give him a boost, and he was fine the rest of the day and ate and drank on his own.

Sunday morning, his tongue had fallen back again, but popped back into place easily. I tube fed him again just to be safe, but again, he was fine the rest of the day.

This morning, his tongue was actually still in his mouth and he'd eaten on his own by the time I would have tubed him, so I left him be. What a rollercoaster! :th

He hasn't been hunched or anything, so I haven't started the corid yet... I'm just puzzled as to why he can't seem to keep his tongue in his mouth consistently. 🤔 Another weirdo for the books, I guess. 🤣
Sorry I'm late lol your Dorkings are soooo cute

Back
Top Bottom