Please help! Brooder killed this morning by a predator, 7 fertile eggs untouched.

jtotherow

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
Fort Mill SC
I have 7 eggs that i have candled and are growing. 4th day with mom when she was pulled off the nest and killed. Cried for 30 minutes and then other ladies have kept them warm all day. I just brought them in when they left them. I now have them next to my wood stove in a broiler with water at the bottom and them over top in a drainer bowel wrapped in a towel. My question can I save them? I do have a brooder light. I read somewhere that if I turn them and keep the temp at 95 they will hatch, over 104 they die. Any help out their?

Im so sorry your hen was killed. How is the temp where you have them now? You dont really want to go above 102 or under 98 you basiclly have a four degree window. Is the water touching them? It shoudnt be. If you can keep them in that four degree window of tempature where you have them then it will work . Other wise take a 60 watt or so bulb and put them in a box on a towel with a towel over them and lower the lamp till its about 98-101 at the eggs. Derict light from the light might be to warm thats why I suggest putting them on and also under a towel.

Thanks I am getting my brooder light and I am going to try. Tractor supply gave me same advice you did. She said up to the Lord now. I really appreciate it. And no they are not in the water.

the Hens leave them too long and will not stay on them over night. Although they did good today. I was in and out to keep an eye on them. She was my only brooder. I have one Buff Orpington left and she is not broodie yet. I have my brooder light on them and a towel over them. One glass of water on the box with them. Prayers over them and trying right now to regulate the temp before I go to bed. If this don't work I'm going to have to order chicks to raise. This has been the worst year I have ever had with predators. the worst I have ever had to deal with is black snakes. That was nothing. they never hurt my girls. just stole my eggs.

Ok a perfect 98 degrees. yeah!

Last edited:
Wishing you luck, please let us know how your next candle goes!! here are my notes if you want to read through them!!
fl.gif
so sorry about your hen
hugs.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

I candled mine before I put them in the towel and the air pocket is visible and the rest look dark. it moves when I turn the egg. I think the veins should appear next. Looks like it is growing but I'm sure it is only 4th day. Will check again on day 6 or 8. Thanks for the help.

I candled mine before I put them in the towel and the air pocket is visible and the rest look dark. it moves when I turn the egg. I think the veins should appear next. Looks like it is growing but I'm sure it is only 4th day. Will check again on day 6 or 8. Thanks for the help.
fl.gif
thumbsup.gif

My eggs are starting to have an odor to them. Is this normal? I candled them last night and seen the veins and embryo. I just turned them the last time tonight and noticed the odor. Candled one and it still looks good. Looks like the 7th view with the "It's Alive" title.

Last edited:
My eggs are starting to have an odor to them. Is this normal? I candled them last night and seen the veins and embryo. I just turned them the last time tonight and noticed the odor. Candled one and it still looks good. Looks like the 7th view with the "It's Alive" title.
what day is this? I would sniff them and candle all and pull the culpret.... bacteria can kill the good ones
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis

Back
Top Bottom