Please help! Integrating Chickens 15 weeks and 6 weeks

I swear. Theybhave done something to me. I love these little things more than any dog or any pet I've ever had. Everyone I know says I'm the last person they'd expect this out of. I'm like a new mom showing off my babies. Maybe because my daughter is 13 now and needs less of me but this the first hobby I've ever been so passionate about as an adult. Never thought I'd come home and want to scoop chicken crap to make sure my chickens are happy and healthy lol
Flock, not flick, lol. I can spell, I just can't type. Arthritis and going too fast!

Not sure if this helps but this has always been my process. To integrate new chickens with an existing flock, it's helpful to follow a gradual process. Firstly, place the new chickens' coop/cage a few feet away from the existing coop and let them free range separately while being able to see and explore the area of the existing coop and other flock of chickens while still safely seperates. After a few days, move the new chickens' coop/cage closer to the existing coop, so that they can get used to each other's presence but still remain separated. Once they have become familiar with each other, let them free range together for a few days. Finally, integrate the new chickens into the existing coop at night while they're sleeping, and observe them carefully the next day to ensure a successful integration. This process has always worked well, even with a dominant chicken in the existing flock. This has always worked for me even one time with a solo chicken(adopted) being integrated into a full flock. I also have a RIR who tends to be grumpy and does a little bullying. It ends quickly tho.

Not sure if this helps but this has always been my process. To integrate new chickens with an existing flock, it's helpful to follow a gradual process. Firstly, place the new chickens' coop/cage a few feet away from the existing coop and let them free range separately while being able to see and explore the area of the existing coop and other flock of chickens while still safely seperates. After a few days, move the new chickens' coop/cage closer to the existing coop, so that they can get used to each other's presence but still remain separated. Once they have become familiar with each other, let them free range together for a few days. Finally, integrate the new chickens into the existing coop at night while they're sleeping, and observe them carefully the next day to ensure a successful integration. This process has always worked well, even with a dominant chicken in the existing flock. This has always worked for me even one time with a solo chicken(adopted) being integrated into a full flock. I also have a RIR who tends to be grumpy and does a little bullying. It ends quickly tho.
Yes I think this is a good plan for me. I am going to leave them side.by side during the day for a week or 2 then try them in the run while I can watch too. I don't think my little babies can free range safely yet though. Probably will be a bit before I'm ready for that.

Yes I think this is a good plan for me. I am going to leave them side.by side during the day for a week or 2 then try them in the run while I can watch too. I don't think my little babies can free range safely yet though. Probably will be a bit before I'm ready for
on the first times in the run together there was always a little bit of pecking and a lot of yelling. I assume this is just normal re establishment of the pecking order.

I am going to leave them side.by side during the day for a week or 2 then try them in the run while I can watch too. I don't think my little babies can free range safely yet though.

I have read of people letting the older ones out to free range, shutting the run, and putting the young ones in the run for the day. That lets the young ones become familiar with their new home, and both groups can see each other through wire mesh. Then switch them back for sleeping time, with the big ones in their usual coop and the little ones in their usual place (indoors, in your case.)

My run is 48 square feet. My coop I'm not sure but my husband built everything to accommodate 16 chickens total according to recommendations.

I've seen different recommendations from different sources.

A common recommendation on this site is 4 square feet per chicken in the coop, and 10 square feet per chicken in the run. By that guideline, a coop for 16 chickens would have 64 square feet, which is larger than your entire run. And a run for 16 chickens would be 160 square feet. So your husband must have been following different guidelines than the one I'm used to.

My best guess is that you will need a larger coop for the current 13 chickens to do well together in most climates (exceptions exist for some climates with no real bad weather, where the chickens have constant access to the run and do not have to spend time inside at all when they are awake.)

I have read of people letting the older ones out to free range, shutting the run, and putting the young ones in the run for the day. That lets the young ones become familiar with their new home, and both groups can see each other through wire mesh. Then switch them back for sleeping time, with the big ones in their usual coop and the little ones in their usual place (indoors, in your case.)

I've seen different recommendations from different sources.

A common recommendation on this site is 4 square feet per chicken in the coop, and 10 square feet per chicken in the run. By that guideline, a coop for 16 chickens would have 64 square feet, which is larger than your entire run. And a run for 16 chickens would be 160 square feet. So your husband must have been following different guidelines than the one I'm used to.

My best guess is that you will need a larger coop for the current 13 chickens to do well together in most climates (exceptions exist for some climates with no real bad weather, where the chickens have constant access to the run and do not have to spend time inside at all when they are awake.)
We went by 3 square feet but I'm going to speak to him. We do have pretty good weather here though. I appreciate your help! If not, I may rehome some.

:frow @Nicci0110 It looks like you have gotten some good advice so far. So I will just welcome you to BYC from New Orleans.
Just my 2 cents worth, but I would use this time to increase your coop and run size. The larger size will help with integration as well, as it will give the littles a way to get away from the bigger chickens, you might also place somethings the littles can hide/get away from the older chicken that the older chickens can't get into.
Good luck and keep us posted on how the integration goes, please.

Back
Top Bottom