Please help...Screw found in hens xray!

If you can place her in a wire dog crate (with a shade cover on top and food/water) where she can be with her flock in their favorite spot, she can see them and be protected. That is a good way to reintroduce them. You also can place a towel or puppy pad down, in order to look for the screw or staple to come out in the droppings.

Last edited:
In case the screw and staple are still located in the digestive tract, you can feed her lots of natural sauerkraut as it will wrap around the object thus preventing cuts and injuries while helping to expel the foreign objects.

I had very good experience in doing so with my dogs, after a few days the sharp and long objects they had ingested were excreted totally wrapped in sauerkraut.

I found a few threads where screws were removed by a vet from the gizzard, but cannot find the one where the screw came through the skin. Here is one thread about surgery:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-ate-9-screws-and-2-staples.1133768/
Oh man I wish you could find that one cuz I can literally feel the top of the screw right up against the skin...I wish I knew for sure where the screw was located within her. On x-ray 2 blown up it is clearly passed out of the crop, and passed out of the gizzard. Appears it's in the intestines to me. Someone said on a thread somewhere on this platform to give Castrol oil??? I don't know. We were giving her coconut oil twice a day for several days about a month ago when we initially thought she may have had food stuck in her throat. I'm wondering if that may have helped coat it and help it along to where it is at now. Think I should give her coconut oil or Castrol oil? If so how much ya think?

I will ask @Wyorp Rock who might be able to remember that thread of the screw coming through the skin. If anyone else does remember it, let us know. I had suggested that the cut off the tip of the screw that was piercing the skin, to make it less sharp.

I will ask @Wyorp Rock who might be able to remember that thread of the screw coming through the skin. If anyone else does remember it, let us know. I had suggested that the cut off the tip of the screw that was piercing the skin, to make it less sharp.
Would it be this one?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/i’m-thinking-this-isn’t-going-to-turn-out-okay.1324428/

(I did a search for the word "screw" in posts by you, and then looked through the pages of results until I found something similar to what you had mentioned.)

Oh man I wish you could find that one cuz I can literally feel the top of the screw right up against the skin...I wish I knew for sure where the screw was located within her. On x-ray 2 blown up it is clearly passed out of the crop, and passed out of the gizzard. Appears it's in the intestines to me. Someone said on a thread somewhere on this platform to give Castrol oil??? I don't know. We were giving her coconut oil twice a day for several days about a month ago when we initially thought she may have had food stuck in her throat. I'm wondering if that may have helped coat it and help it along to where it is at now. Think I should give her coconut oil or Castrol oil? If so how much ya think?
Not castrol oil but Jamaican castor oil. It's used to flush system as well as molasses. However I wouldn't want to rush something like this. I like the sauerkraut idea better.

Back
Top Bottom