PLEASE HELP - SICK CHICKENS?

Mamachic1967

Songster
8 Years
Apr 1, 2015
All summer I've noticed my chickens missing feathers and considered they might be moting again, yet it seemed too early. Today I noticed 2 of them with a black growth growing on their skin and 2 others with black starting. I've attached a picture. Please anyone can you help me identify asap because if it is a spreading disease I don't want to lose all my girls to it.
Thank you.

Blood and scabbing from pecking can look black. I would look over the skin all over and especiallu under the vent for tiny bugs, such as lice or mites and their eggs. I have used BluKote spray or Nustock cream to cover and help heal pecking wounds. Spend some time watching their behavior with each other to see if the ones with black spots are getting bullied or run off. Hen aprons or saddles can be useful to cover bare spots until the feathers grow back. Sometimes it takes until the next molt if it is extensive.

Thank you so much. I was doing research and wondered if it was pecking. I will have to come up with an idea for chicken aprons, thank you!

They can be easy to make yourself out of some thin polarfleece. Take a rectangular piece of fabric and cut 2 slits for wings. Polarfleece is pretty stretchy, so you can put the wings through the slits, and trim off any excess. It might take a practice one to get one that you can use. They will frighten the other chickens at first, and putting them on at roost time in the evening will minimize that. By the next day, they will not be so afraid of the apron-wearers.

Thank you. I found an easy pattern that will work, never thought about the polarfleece though, it will be much softer than cotton during this molting process. I'm so glad you responded. My girls are my family and I would have been upset if we had to get rid of them, even 1. So this is a huge relief. Now I just need to help my Bumblefoot gal and then everything will be better.

This one from pinterest is similar to the ones I have made.
36cade87c46afc0b31373a4d6436f960.jpg

Back
Top Bottom