PLEASE HELP!!! SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH MY CHICKENS VENT!!! *GRAPHIC

Flock-of-Five

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2019
One of our chickens, a two year old barred rock hen is having some problems with her vent. I have never had anything like this happen before to any of my chickens so I am not sure what to do. I have heard of prolapsed vent and egg bound chickens before but at this point I am not sure what to do and I heard both issues could be fatal. Is there a difference between a prolapsed vent and a egg bound hen or are they the same? I also thought it might be important to mention I do not have a rooster (I have heard that prolapse can happen during mating). She keeps straining. So far we have tried soaking her in a warm bath of epsom salt, giving her calcium, and pushing vent back inside, nothing has worked. Here are some images: (Graphic warning)

Attachments

• IMG_3744.jpg
    IMG_3744.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3743.jpg
    IMG_3743.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3742.jpg
    IMG_3742.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 20
That is a prolapsed cloaca or vent. They can occur with or without being egg bound. Usually if they are egg bound you can see or feel an egg shape or a see a more swollen vent area. They cannot poop arojnd the prolapse when egg bound. Separate your hen in a dog crate or bring her inside. Keep the pink tissue moist at all time, until you are able to push it back inside. Honey is good, or you may use coconut or other non-toxic oil or lubricant. Honey can help decrease swelling. Try pushing it back inside as long as you don’t suspect an egg.

When you push the prolapsed tissue back inside hold it there for a few minutes while trying to get the hen to relax on your lap. If your hen lays every day, it might help to get her to stop laying temporarily, to allow the vent to heal. To aacomplish that, you can place her in a dark cage or room for 16 hours daily. For the other 8 days, she may be out walking eating, and drinking. Here is a good article on prolapsed vents:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Thank your for the advice! We have her separated but we now suspect an egg might be the cause of her injury. Currently we are trying to get in touch with a vet who works with chickens as we are not used to dealing with this kind of thing.

If you think she is eggbound, give her a dose of calcium, a half a Tums or calcium tablet. Just pop it into her beak. If you don't have any, pulverize a whole egg, shell and all, and feed it to her. Here is a bideo of a woman extracting an egg from a prolased vent:

Back
Top Bottom