Please help

famerzellman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2016
Massachusetts
it wouldn't let me upload the video I have to show what's going on with my pullet but I'll do the best I can to describe it. I have lost two previous pullets out of the same batch. They are four months old and still in their grow out pen which they are running out of room due to being on quarantine. I lost the first pullet maybe three weeks ago and another maybe a week ago. I treated them with corrid powdered as instructed and still lost both. Now a third pullet is sick. It started with the puffed up feathers head sunk in. (Yesterday) so I started back using corrid. Today I let them out of their coop and I notice her head was wobbling and she went to fly and fell over... crossing her feet as she walks. Almost like she's dizzy! The other three members seem fine as of right now. I check their food every day to make sure there is no wet food, I change their water every day with fresh water and corrid. I make sure bedding is clean and dry. So I did a bunch of research on www.poultrydvm.com and found the symptoms they have are either new castle, coccious (if spelled right), and a long list of everything else under the sun. Does anyone have any ideas on what this is? How to treat it? And is it okay to let them be with h the big flock? I need some serious help on what to do! Thank you!

I recommend you keep them separate from your flock, in the event this is contagious. Why did you start them on Corid, did they have bloody poop? Head wobbling sounds like a vitamin deficiency, maybe. Are they eating? Drinking? Pooping? What are you feeding them?
Hopefully others will peep in shortly with advice. Think to post a video you need to put in on You Tube then this site will ask you for the video listing. Unless it's changed, sorry.

I'm sorry you're having trouble.

The video may be helpful - as @ChickNanny13 mentioned - uploading to youtube, then providing us a link is the easiest for us to see it.

Can you post photos of the poop?
What dosage of Corid are you using?
Do you have vet care - or can you take a fresh poop sample in for testing?

The symptoms you describe could be a number of things - Coccidiosis, Wry Neck or disease like Marek's or Newcastles. Do they have any respiratory symptoms?

If you are treating for Coccidiosis - then the Corid water should be the only water source available - dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.

Do your best to keep them drinking.

Here's the link. They are eating and drinking fresh water and give fresh food every day. Once they act like this they usually die with in 48 hours. I do 1 and 1/2 teaspoon everyday in fresh water for five days. I just talked to a vet today which was no help he said I had to wait till one dies to send it to a lab for $125... that's all I really got. I just hope someone can help me or point me in the right direction so I can save my chickens

they did have bloody poop when this all started that's how I assumed I need to treat with corrid but there as been no blood just normal droppings. No respiratory problems just start puffed out like a pigeon head sunk in then loss of balance and head movement then death... really strange

Do you have vet care available - at least see if you can have a fecal float to rule out Coccidiosis overload.
What do you feed (including treats)?

Since they suddenly die within 48hours - look to see if there is any possibility of mold, dead rotten animal or maggots they could have ingested. I know you check for moldy feed, but look at the ground too, check for any bug spray/rat poison, etc. I'm just trying to think of all the possibilities.

You may want to check with your state agricultural center to see if there are any diseases that are "popular" in your area right now. I think I saw where there may have been a warning of Newcastle, but I look at so much stuff, I just can't remember.

It's hard to know if you should continue the Corid or switch to a vitamin therapy - there can be a contradiction if a bird gets excessive amounts of Thiamine (B1) when using Corid - but I can't find what amount is deemed "excessive".

You initially saw bloody poop - how long ago was this and did the sick birds recover or were these the pullets that you lost. Bloody poop is usually an indication of Coccidiosis, but can point to other conditions/illness like Necrotic Enteritis or even worms.

If you do happen to lose another one - refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab for testing - losing this many in such a short time is a concern - the testing can give you some answers and let you know whether corrections in feed/housing/environment can be made to help prevent losses in the future or if this is a disease that is just overwhelming the birds.
MA Department of Agricultural Resources, Division of Animal Health
251 Causeway Street, Suite 500, Boston, MA 02114 Phone; 617/626-1795 Website: http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/agr/

Do you have vet care available - at least see if you can have a fecal float to rule out Coccidiosis overload.
What do you feed (including treats)?

Since they suddenly die within 48hours - look to see if there is any possibility of mold, dead rotten animal or maggots they could have ingested. I know you check for moldy feed, but look at the ground too, check for any bug spray/rat poison, etc. I'm just trying to think of all the possibilities.

You may want to check with your state agricultural center to see if there are any diseases that are "popular" in your area right now. I think I saw where there may have been a warning of Newcastle, but I look at so much stuff, I just can't remember.

It's hard to know if you should continue the Corid or switch to a vitamin therapy - there can be a contradiction if a bird gets excessive amounts of Thiamine (B1) when using Corid - but I can't find what amount is deemed "excessive".

You initially saw bloody poop - how long ago was this and did the sick birds recover or were these the pullets that you lost. Bloody poop is usually an indication of Coccidiosis, but can point to other conditions/illness like Necrotic Enteritis or even worms.

If you do happen to lose another one - refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab for testing - losing this many in such a short time is a concern - the testing can give you some answers and let you know whether corrections in feed/housing/environment can be made to help prevent losses in the future or if this is a disease that is just overwhelming the birds.
MA Department of Agricultural Resources, Division of Animal Health
251 Causeway Street, Suite 500, Boston, MA 02114 Phone; 617/626-1795 Website: http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/agr/

I couldn't find anything rotten.the bloody poop was about a month ago. I can't find anything dead or poison. I ended up treating corrid when I would see symptoms in a bird... just really confused but I'll keep looking. Thanks for all your help!

Hi

I'm so sorry to read that you are suffering sudden losses to a mystery illness in your young flock.

Can you remember when you saw the bloody poop a month ago, was it bright blood red poop or more fleshy coloured bits within a normal poop? I'm wondering if you mistook shed intestinal lining for bloody stool, as it is normal in my experience to shed some intestinal lining at 7-12 weeks and many people make the mistake of thinking it signifies coccidiosis or worms.

At the adolescent age your birds are, Marek's disease would probably be the most common cause, but the symptoms you are describing are not classic Marek's, but then there are a whole range of symptoms for Marek's and secondary infections that result from it, that can be associated with different strains of the virus.

The bird featured in your video (which is a cockerel by the way, not a pullet) appears to have an odd looking eye. It might be worth checking that both pupils are the same size and respond to light/darkness appropriately as that would indicate Marek's. The head movements can be as a result of failing eyesight and/or neurological issues, both of which could be related to Marek's. Stumbling can be due to partial paralysis or lack of sensation in the feet/legs which again is a Marek's symptom.

Of course there are many other possibilities as others have outlined and I agree that the best course of action would be to get a necropsy done on he next one that dies. It may be cheaper and more reliable to have that done directly by a state vet/lab than through the private practice veterinary that you spoke to, especially if they don't know much about chickens.

Unfortunately if it is Marek's then there is no recognised treatment other than good nutrition to support the digestive tract, immune system and neurological system.... or culling them all. The former can be done with probiotics or fermented feed, and good vitamin supplementation and good nutrition including high quality treats like scrambled egg, fish, raw liver, fresh fruit and veg.into their diet. If you feed a medicated feed, I would switch to a non medicated grower.

As others have said, it is not a good idea to mix them with other birds until you figure out what it is. The stress of integration could make it worse (particularly if it is Marek's as stress triggers attacks) as well as possibly put the other birds at risk.

I use non medicated grower feed along with their chick feed... they do get fresh veggies from the garden I will add vitamins and other things to boost their digestion tract. Should I keep them separated permanently or how do I tell when this diease is under control? I uploaded th picture of the poop that I discovered when this all started. Thank you all for your information!

Attachments

• IMG_1612.JPG
    IMG_1612.JPG
    648.3 KB · Views: 8
That looks more like shed intestinal lining to me.... it is flesh coloured rather than blood red.
If it is Marek's disease, you have it for the long term..... essentially survivors must be assumed carriers for life and the virus can survive for months in the ground and buildings. It can also be carried on clothing,shoes and even the wind. It is spread via dander dust from infected birds which is inhaled to infect new birds. It is advisable to operate a closed flock as even healthy birds could carry the virus to a new home if you sell them. I breed from survivors in my flock and broody rear the chicks within the flock so that they are exposed to the virus from day one. After the iniial outbreak it has been my experience that the virus settles down and you just have the odd outbreak every now and then. I bred 56 chicks last year and only 3 of them developed symptoms of which I lost 2 (pullets of course) and the cockerel that was destined to be culled, made a miraculous recovery and was healthy for several months before a fox picked him off!..... not much meat on him though. Then I had a 2 year old hen go down with it over winter. She battled it valliantly for 4 months before it took her. I have had no more victims to it in the past 5 months but it will rear it's ugly head again sooner or later, but not nearly as bad as that initial outbreak.

Back
Top Bottom