PLEASE HELP

DotToDot

Crowing
Apr 11, 2023
This is sort of an update on my sick hen, Maisy. She’s the first one I posted about, in the thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/why-is-my-hen-gasping-with-her-comb-turning-purple.1573567/

She’s doing better, and eating a lot. Eating a LOT. When I put the birds to bed, I always come around with a little dish of water and food, just to make sure they’re filled up. Most of them don’t eat, but Maisy keeps. On. Eating. SO MUCH. I was getting worried and wondered if she was malnourished, so I went to check her crop…
For a minute I wondered it I was searching in the wrong spot. Her crop is the smallest, most shrunken crop I’ve ever felt. The little bit of it I could feel was squishy. Super squishy.
I’m so scared for her, what does this mean??

It means you need to take her to a veterinarian for an exam. She may act like she is eating but is actually not ingesting food. She has something serious going on and it sounds like her disease is progressing.

It means you need to take her to a veterinarian for an exam. She may act like she is eating but is actually not ingesting food. She has something serious going on and it sounds like her disease is progressing.
Thank you. Unfortunately there are no vets in our area who treat chickens, but I’m calling around. Hopefully we’ll find someone. 🤞

Back
Top Bottom