Please HELP

Atrayou

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
2 days ago I went out to 18 new baby chicks.....I have 2 hens that hatched them in the big coop. Mean while I have my hen Jenny that is definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. She gets picked on terribly and still has a limp from a month ago. I have put her cage in an empty stall and she is now alone.
My question is......Do you think if I took 2-3 of the new baby chicks and put them with her she would take care of them????? She does not have a mean bone in her body and I was wondering if her mother instincts would kick in. Plus these babies will be company for her and she does have the perfect cage to rear them. The new chicks are bearly 2 days old. Please advise I hate seeing my girl all by herself because of the others being so mean.
Jenny was not raised with the other chickens she was raised in my house all by herself. I love her she is the ONLY chicken I have that I can love on and hold.
Also I have noticed since her injury she has not laid my any eggs but she has molted and now she is turning white. Has anyone ever had another hen foster baby chicks is this something that can be done safely?

Being raised in your home is the culprit of the picking problem. She didn't learn the pecking order, didn't have to defend herself or for her food. She's low man on the totem pole because of that and possibly because of her shy, meek/timid nature. Someone has to be on bottom and it's her sadly to say. As for putting the babies in with her I don't know and can't say if her motherly instincts would kick in. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply.

Generally, a hen will foster chicks if she is already broody but you wouldn't want to try it with chicks older than a week. (if yours is only 2 days, that would be good) If your hen isn't broody, I'm not sure her hormones would be motherly towards them. However, you can always try it and see. If you decide to try it, do so at night and slip them under her. Be there to watch come morning to make sure. If she accepts them, she will cluck softly to them in response to their cheeps and willingly sit on them. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom