Please tell me this isn’t bumble foot

brandonstokley

Songster
Oct 4, 2022
Crawfordville, Florida
C47828C5-4357-4218-96C9-51D3BEEA24CE.jpeg

What do I do?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/bumblefoot-treatment.72887/

I used to panic when I found "scabs" under my girls feet but told to leave it alone UNLESS it got irritated. Have read up on treatments but I wasn't about to do "surgery" ... Instead I checked my roost (no roughness, splinters) picked up any pebbles, stones or junk they dig up in their CH, make sure I got a good amount of shavings down and lowered my roost to 2' form the ground which changes as they dig so I just add more shavings. I've been lucky so far and this last time notice the scab gone & skin under it nice and pink.

I've tried the soaking and trying to soften the scab to come off (always wear gloves when attending, it's a staph infection). I've even tried ointment and Prid (drawing salve) wrapped up the foot, only to find they get out of the wrapping. So now I just leave it alone but keep a close eye on them ... So far I've been lucky.

I didn't tell you it's Bumble Foot ;)

Ok, I won't tell you it's bumble foot but if it gets infected and swelling occurs, then it is bumble foot.
It doesn't look like a scab but more like she stepped in something that discolored the pad?

I found two with it. I just soaked their feet in epsom salt, clean gently with a tooth brush and sprayed with bactine.

im wondering if this is being caused by the concrete blocks around the base of the coop and what the feeder and waterer are sitting on
Looks like early stages of Contact Dermatitis/Foot Pad Dermatitis. Is bedding dry?
If the birds are not standing on concrete blocks all day, then I wouldn't think that should be too much of an issue.

I used to panic when I found "scabs" under my girls feet but told to leave it alone UNLESS it got irritated.

I live in Australia where there is a long tradition of burying rubbish and as such the more industrious of my birds regularly dig up bits of glass and plastic. I agree that unless the wound is red or swollen, don’t do any kind of surgery.

My process when I find wounds/scabs on my birds’ feet is to clean with soap and water, then scrub with a toothbrush and iodine, spray with vetericyn, then put a non stick square of gauze soaked in vetericyn over the wound and wrap with vet wrap. I do it at night when the birds are calmer and I change the dressing every night until I observe the wound healing and then I change it every second day. Sometimes with wounds on the pad of the foot the vetwrap can irritate between the toes which is why I change the dressings so frequently. It all takes practice but keep at it.

Like others have said, pick up any rubbish or sharp objects in your yard and lower roosts. A lot of foot injuries can be avoided by minimising hazards.

Epsom salt soaks are always good because they will soften the scab and draw out infection. You can also supplement the birds with vitamins which will help their healing.

Back
Top Bottom