Polish and rare chickens

Rural Chicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 2, 2012
anybody have some cool chickens to talk about and pics to show. I have silver laced polish, golden laced polish, buff laced polish, white creasted black polish, white creasted blue polish, sultans. I also have a turkin witch looks like a turkie but is a chicken
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I also have polish-golden laced. I think I have 3 hens 3 roos. But still are young enough to not know for sure. I also have 5 ee's. Don't know which colors will be layed-wont know till Oct. I also have 2 bantams, 15 red production hens, 3 mut roos.

My daughter wanted to get into the chicken business so here we are. I have truly loved every minute of it. My family thinks we are nuts but I don't care. We are new to chickens in general but we are learning. I just love this site, so much wonderful info.

I would love to add variety to the flock next spring. My daughter and I both want some silkies, frizzles and others that we might feel like getting. I hope that we can do some trading when we let some eggs hatch next spring.

How long have you been with your flock....any words of wisdom?? Lovely to meet you! I'm sure we will be life long byc chatters. Please share your story, just love hearing everyone's lifes with their chickies!!

I also have polish-golden laced. I think I have 3 hens 3 roos. But still are young enough to not know for sure. I also have 5 ee's. Don't know which colors will be layed-wont know till Oct. I also have 2 bantams, 15 red production hens, 3 mut roos.

My daughter wanted to get into the chicken business so here we are. I have truly loved every minute of it. My family thinks we are nuts but I don't care. We are new to chickens in general but we are learning. I just love this site, so much wonderful info.

I would love to add variety to the flock next spring. My daughter and I both want some silkies, frizzles and others that we might feel like getting. I hope that we can do some trading when we let some eggs hatch next spring.

How long have you been with your flock....any words of wisdom?? Lovely to meet you! I'm sure we will be life long byc chatters. Please share your story, just love hearing everyone's lifes with their chickies!!
welcome-byc.gif
, from Mabelvale.

Got kinfolk in and around Batesville.

I have a pair of Mottled Houdans, and 8 more chicks growing out.
_MG_3739.jpg
_MG_2860.jpg
I love this breed :love They are similar to the polish in personality and the top hat. That's pretty much where the similarity ends. They are a good 2 pounds or more heavier then the standard polish, and they lay much better. They have 5 toes, and pink legs.
_MG_3744.jpg
They only come in mottled and white. I LOVE Houdans. They are extremely rare. Especially good quality ones. I know my mottling could be better, but they are a good size, which most Houdans bred in the US are lacking.

howdy draye! what do you raise? aoxa~beautiful birds! they golden one looks like my golden laced. im enjoying all the breeds that we currently have. my daughter wanted them to get eggs and sell. no eggs yet but hopefully soon. she and i both would like to get some other varieties soon but probably wont do that till next spring. i would like to trade or sell when we get some eggs hatched. ive read that its good to keep variety in your flock~keeps them healthy.

ours aren't show quality just pets. we don't have a big 4h around here, but i have thought about pampering one so my daughter can enter it in the fair next yr. my family thinks we're nuts for enjoying them so much, but we just adore them all. we are hopefully going to move to a bigger farm in the next yr, so we can expand a bit more like i want.

great to hear from you both! now that the babies are looking better, almost picked bald by our older chickens i'll take some pictures.

howdy draye! what do you raise? aoxa~beautiful birds! they golden one looks like my golden laced. im enjoying all the breeds that we currently have. my daughter wanted them to get eggs and sell. no eggs yet but hopefully soon. she and i both would like to get some other varieties soon but probably wont do that till next spring. i would like to trade or sell when we get some eggs hatched. ive read that its good to keep variety in your flock~keeps them healthy. ours aren't show quality just pets. we don't have a big 4h around here, but i have thought about pampering one so my daughter can enter it in the fair next yr. my family thinks we're nuts for enjoying them so much, but we just adore them all. we are hopefully going to move to a bigger farm in the next yr, so we can expand a bit more like i want. great to hear from you both! now that the babies are looking better, almost picked bald by our older chickens i'll take some pictures.
She's not really golden, it is the sunset colouring that the camera is picking up. She is just white and black. Showing adds a whole new level to the hobby. It is extremely fun and rewarding. You get to meet a lot of other chicken people, and you know how much fun talking about your chickens is right? It's nice to hang around people that don't think you are crazy for giving your chicken a bubble bath :gig I highly recommend it. I wouldn't do polish as a show bird though. I've heard they are really hard to show, and they don't win that easily. For a first show bird, bantam white rocks or wyandottes are the easiest to show. Patterned birds don't do as well as solid colours. We have tons of different breeds! I love all the colours!
_MG_9248-1.jpg
Here is a picture with just a few of the members of my flock. That's my friend Dylan throwing them spinach :)

how odd that plain-solid colors do better than the patterned ones. i only have mutts right now. if my daughter really wants to do some showing then i would look seriously into a purebread-heritage breed of chicken. i wish i could find a local swap of some sort. i dont even know if there is a chicken auction thing here. i really need to check into getting more involved in the community. i know once i get started i wont be able to control myself..
droolin.gif
i dont want chicken math to get a hold of me again. thanks for the info tho, that gives me a start.

I also have silkies frizzles and bantam Cochins. I have a Japamended bantam witch is a roo. I have some d`uncles.

Back
Top Bottom