Polish chick getting pecked - What should I do?

What should I do with Chickabiddy?

• Try to find a new home for her now

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Keep her separated until she’s 5-6 months old and try to integrate her into main flock

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Build a separate coop for her and get a couple more Polish to be her friends

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Other ideas? Please share!

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

BookWormDenise

Songster
Jun 3, 2022
East Texas
Well, as DobieLover predicted on my introduction post thread, my little flock of mixed breed chicks just turned 3 weeks old, and now they’re pecking at Chickabiddy’s head (my white crested black Polish girl who is so sweet and likes to perch on my arm to be petted). 😥

I am brand new to chickens and these are my first chicks. Obviously I did NOT do enough homework on breed interactions when I put my order together. I have a couple of chicken friends who said, mixed breeds are fine as long as they’re all raised together as chicks, even bantams. Well…. that might be true of all the chicks at the feed store, but I’m learning the hard way, it does not apply with Polish.

I feel terrrrrible and irresponsible, but chastising myself isn’t helping me figure out what to do. What I did today for the short term was to put a Kong dog crate inside the hen house we’re using for a brooder to separate Chickabiddy. Then I went and bought Vetrycin and Pick-No-More, and had my husband assist in doctoring her. She acts like she’s been shot with the purple goop on her head, which draws the attention of the other chicks, but they don’t like the Pick-No-More on their beaks. She was ok for a couple of hours and wasn’t being harassed (fortunately we had just installed a camera a few days ago so I can watch them), but then someone started following her around and pecking at her head. It seemed like maybe she rubbed it off? Or maybe the goop just dried? I was afraid to leave her exposed overnight and in the morning before I can get out there (I have a 3-year-old potty training so this is all great timing) so she’s back in the dog crate for tonight.

What should my long term plan be???

Is there any hope that Chickabiddy could be accepted and happy as part of my flock once she’s full grown? If so, is keeping her separate but visible the best approach?

Should I try to find a Polish expert and beg them to take her?

Should we try to subdivide the coop my husband hasn’t even finished building yet? Do I need to try to convince him we need a second coop (but then we’d have to get more Polish or something to be Chickabiddy’s friends)? He’s not looking favorably on this last option as he just finished our 6x8 hen house and is now working on an attached covered 8x24 run.

Are there other options I haven’t thought of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! The pictures below are from Friday when everything was peaceful and then the injuries today.

C275FF06-121C-4114-BE99-082245099B5C.jpeg

E9C5FE45-27DE-48AD-8BFE-E68FEABE3C81.jpeg

I have a hen that gets picked on. They haven't drawn blood but shes almost bald. She lives in a different coop now with younger pullets who also can't hang with my older girls. Its not very practical but I had an extra coop and run so its working for me for now. If you can figure out who is doing the picking you might be able to separate that chicken for a while and see how your polish does

I have a hen that gets picked on. They haven't drawn blood but shes almost bald. She lives in a different coop now with younger pullets who also can't hang with my older girls. Its not very practical but I had an extra coop and run so its working for me for now. If you can figure out who is doing the picking you might be able to separate that chicken for a while and see how your polish does
That’s a great idea! The one I saw on the camera following her around this evening was a bigger brown one, but I‘m not sure which one. I will watch more tomorrow and see if there’s one bully in particular. Thank you!

We put fresh Pick-No-More on her head this morning and let her in with the other chicks. Within 15 minutes, a bunch of them were harassing her. So unfortunately it’s not just one or two bullies that can be jailed. I even saw one of the bantams peck at her head. 😥 She’s back in the dog crate.

Yes! They can see her in the crate -- Like this…

91EFA2F1-4A42-4F48-B7D1-EBCE588AA00E.jpeg

Is it good they can see her??

The hen house they are in is 6’x8’. Hubby is working on the enclosed run, which will be 8’x24’. He’s aiming to be done by the end of this week, but he’s juggling his real job as well.

Our current idea is to make a partition at the end of the run so the main flock would have the hen house and 16’ of run plus under the hen house, and then Chickabiddy could have 8’ of run and he’d have to build or we’d buy a small hen house for her.

She’s unhappy alone, but I’m very hesitant to get more Polish to be her friends because I think we’re already in over our heads.

Well, as DobieLover predicted on my introduction post thread, my little flock of mixed breed chicks just turned 3 weeks old, and now they’re pecking at Chickabiddy’s head (my white crested black Polish girl who is so sweet and likes to perch on my arm to be petted). 😥

I am brand new to chickens and these are my first chicks. Obviously I did NOT do enough homework on breed interactions when I put my order together. I have a couple of chicken friends who said, mixed breeds are fine as long as they’re all raised together as chicks, even bantams. Well…. that might be true of all the chicks at the feed store, but I’m learning the hard way, it does not apply with Polish.

I feel terrrrrible and irresponsible, but chastising myself isn’t helping me figure out what to do. What I did today for the short term was to put a Kong dog crate inside the hen house we’re using for a brooder to separate Chickabiddy. Then I went and bought Vetrycin and Pick-No-More, and had my husband assist in doctoring her. She acts like she’s been shot with the purple goop on her head, which draws the attention of the other chicks, but they don’t like the Pick-No-More on their beaks. She was ok for a couple of hours and wasn’t being harassed (fortunately we had just installed a camera a few days ago so I can watch them), but then someone started following her around and pecking at her head. It seemed like maybe she rubbed it off? Or maybe the goop just dried? I was afraid to leave her exposed overnight and in the morning before I can get out there (I have a 3-year-old potty training so this is all great timing) so she’s back in the dog crate for tonight.

What should my long term plan be???

Is there any hope that Chickabiddy could be accepted and happy as part of my flock once she’s full grown? If so, is keeping her separate but visible the best approach?

Should I try to find a Polish expert and beg them to take her?

Should we try to subdivide the coop my husband hasn’t even finished building yet? Do I need to try to convince him we need a second coop (but then we’d have to get more Polish or something to be Chickabiddy’s friends)? He’s not looking favorably on this last option as he just finished our 6x8 hen house and is now working on an attached covered 8x24 run.

Are there other options I haven’t thought of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! The pictures below are from Friday when everything was peaceful and then the injuries today.

View attachment 3147682

View attachment 3147684

Unfortunately, once blood has been drawn from picking, you have no choice but to separate Chickabiddy. Especially when there are several chicks in an enclosed area. A bloody spot is something that attracts other chicks/chickens to pick at which could cause an infection. But once she has grown bigger and stronger her chances of not getting bullied in the future will improve.

Back
Top Bottom