Polish chick green bald spot on head

uusparrowuu

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2022
One of my polish chicks, about 6 weeks old, was having trouble growing her crest feathers. It took her longer than the other polish chick. But as soon as feathers started poking through, they all fell out and now the top of her head looks green-ish. Both polish chicks plus a crested cream legbar have been kept separate from the rest to avoid the others pecking at their crests. The other polish and CCL both have full, healthy crests.

Why is Freida’s head bald and green?
A6D31031-A338-49AD-8707-41CAEE6FB8AD.jpeg

Attachments

• 54F39F4B-8821-48F8-A761-AF5659C44D84.jpeg
    54F39F4B-8821-48F8-A761-AF5659C44D84.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 3
You may need to separate her from all other chickens until it grows in if you can't find the culprit(s). No guarantee that it won't happen again, but it's worth trying to help her grow them back and then see how it goes after re-integration. She can stay within sight of the others (if possible), as long as they can't reach her head.

You may need to separate her from all other chickens until it grows in if you can't find the culprit(s). No guarantee that it won't happen again, but it's worth trying to help her grow them back and then see how it goes after re-integration. She can stay within sight of the others (if possible), as long as they can't reach her head.
She has been feather pecked, and the 'green' is bruising.
Thank goodness, I was so worried it was fungal. I’ll separate her via hardware cloth.

When my Polish hens had head feathers pecked out, I used BluKote to spray their heads purple/blue every other day until feathers grew back in. I found if I started this when just a few feathers were missing, it worked well enough to nip it in the bud. Now some say the BluKote cause more pecking, but I had good luck with it. It will take a month or more for the feathers to come back in. This is one of the drawbacks to having crested birds in a flock.

Back
Top Bottom