Polish Killed how?

Pumphrey

Songster
Sep 27, 2019
I had a year-old Polish Chicken who was killed yesterday through a dog run that is covered in chain link that is also covered in chicken wire and a cement floor. Found her on the ground by the side of her roost against the side of the coop. Head had multiple injuries and a few bloody feathers beside her. Nothing got inside the coop. She was killed from the outside. There had been a raven hanging about the chickens and the chickens huddled in a corner and made a big racket. We heard nothing so I am thinking whatever attacked her through the kennel at night. We have skunks, racoons, opossums, owls, hawks and coyotes. I am thinking none of those could reach through the small opening in the chicken wire to get her. Any ideas and how can I better predator proof my coop?

Actually many things can actually fit through chicken wire.

Cover the coop with 1/2 hardware cloth.
Any openings bigger than 1/2 inch isn't predator proof.

Add Netting to the wire, I personally would add security cams, there's a real cheap system for about 30 bucks at walmart online. I just set it up for my house, and am going to buy another to place a camera inside the coop. its real simple and works well, you can also monitor it from your phone!

Aside from that ^ hardware cloth or netting and a farm dog!

Actually many things can actually fit through chicken wire.

Cover the coop with 1/2 hardware cloth.
Any openings bigger than 1/2 inch isn't predator proof.
Just check and the chicken wire is .59 inches ( 1.5cm) so too big

Add Netting to the wire, I personally would add security cams, there's a real cheap system for about 30 bucks at walmart online. I just set it up for my house, and am going to buy another to place a camera inside the coop. its real simple and works well, you can also monitor it from your phone!

Aside from that ^ hardware cloth or netting and a farm dog!
Thank you. What kind of netting would be good? I mentioned to my husband for us to get a little cam last night. I appreciate the recommendation to Walmart. Her sisters were all around her when I found her, nudging her to try to get her to get up.

thats awful.

I recommend just looking online at the kinds there are available at your local feed store, or online at amazon etc, that way you can find one within your price bracket.

Back
Top Bottom