Pomeranian Goose Breed Thread

Pics
Their is a lady in Arkansas that raises them. However, I am not sure which color or what quality. The next closest would be Paradise Waterfowl (LaMike on here) up by Shreveport, LA: Those birds are from my flock and include the bird in my profile picture. I am not sure if his are still laying or if he has spare goslings.

Now, the Northern breeders are just starting to hatch heavily. The biggest producer with good stock up North is Lance Ewert. HOWEVER, he is in Minnesota, so with the Avian Influenza outbreak up there, I am not sure whether he is able to ship or not.

Their contact information:
Ewert Country Waterfowl

21334 441st Avenue

Arlington, MN 56001

Ph. 320-224-7415

Thank you!!
I think I want to breed one of each, Pomeranian, Toulouse, embden, and American

lizzy456 where did you get your Pomeranians I have been looking so far no one breeds them. I have a pair of American Blues from Dave Holderread  . I thought he would have them since they are on the critical list. Thanks Judy

I actually do not have any Poms yet , but considering getting one from a breeder in my area.
I don't know where you are located , but you'd probably have to ask if someone is in your area to find local breeders.I tried to find them online , but Ideal Poultry is booked out until next year...

Last edited:
Lizzy456 I live in South Kentucky near FT Campbell army base. There aren't many breeders here. I want good stock that's why I ordered from Holderread I got them as adults they were pricey but worth it. I ordered my ducks from Mezter Farms and very pleased with them. But they don.t have Poms ether, are they hard to breed?

Lizzy456 I live in South Kentucky near FT Campbell army base. There aren't many breeders here. I want good stock that's why I ordered from Holderread I got them as adults they were pricey but worth it. I ordered my ducks from Mezter Farms and very pleased with them. But they don.t have Poms ether, are they hard to breed?

Poms are not hard to breed. Holderreads let the last of their Pomeranian's go (the remaining greys) about two years ago. Ari Katz, a young man in the NE has some very nice grey ones and will ship goslings. His information is available on our Facebook group.

Poms are not hard to breed. Holderreads let the last of their Pomeranian's go (the remaining greys) about two years ago. Ari Katz, a young man in the NE has some very nice grey ones and will ship goslings. His information is available on our Facebook group.
How do you breed to the standard?

If you are speaking to me, breeding to the standard has been my goal since the beginning: I purchased an APA Standard of Perfection and read and re-read it until I knew the breed description by heart. Their aren't a lot of waterfowl shown in the deep south, so the only Pomeranians I have ever seen at a show have come from my flock: Shown by me or someone who purchased on from me.

I am President of the Gulf Coast Poultry Fanciers Association and Show Secretary of the Gulf South Fall Classic in Baton Rouge, LA, so everything I raise is done for exhibition and preservation purposes. It may take me years to breed all the faults out of my flock, but I have gotten very hard-nosed about culling. I do have a couple birds in my flock that I really want to replace for one reason or another, but until a better bird presents itself, they have enough positives to stay in the breeding program. Right now the primary thing I have been working on has been the markings and type. I want a broad chest, fairly flat head, and single lobe. With the markings, I would like the head sock to end mid neck or slightly above that point, and the heart on their back to be as clean as possible. Good leg/bill/foot color is a bonus, but I won't cull a bird unless they are WAY to orange at this point: Buff are just too hard to find.

As a rule, I will sell eggs (which are pretty much all spoken for months prior to breeding season) or juveniles that are over 4 weeks old. Even then, most anything I let go will have an obvious fault I do not want in my flock. I do another round of culls after they have their final set of adult feathers and I can see their size and look at development of their lobes and check for an exposed or crooked keel. At that point, I do let go of some good quality birds, including at times some of my current breeders. Because of an agreement with my husband, I keep my breeding flock size between 12-14 individuals. So, if I end up with more than 14....someone has to leave!

Last edited:

If you are speaking to me, breeding to the standard has been my goal since the beginning: I purchased an APA Standard of Perfection and read and re-read it until I knew the breed description by heart. Their aren't a lot of waterfowl shown in the deep south, so the only Pomeranians I have ever seen at a show have come from my flock: Shown by me or someone who purchased on from me.

I am President of the Gulf Coast Poultry Fanciers Association and Show Secretary of the Gulf South Fall Classic in Baton Rouge, LA, so everything I raise is done for exhibition and preservation purposes. It may take me years to breed all the faults out of my flock, but I have gotten very hard-nosed about culling. I do have a couple birds in my flock that I really want to replace for one reason or another, but until a better bird presents itself, they have enough positives to stay in the breeding program. Right now the primary thing I have been working on has been the markings and type. I want a broad chest, fairly flat head, and single lobe. With the markings, I would like the head sock to end mid neck or slightly above that point, and the heart on their back to be as clean as possible. Good leg/bill/foot color is a bonus, but I won't cull a bird unless they are WAY to orange at this point: Buff are just too hard to find.

As a rule, I will sell eggs (which are pretty much all spoken for months prior to breeding season) or juveniles that are over 4 weeks old. Even then, most anything I let go will have an obvious fault I do not want in my flock. I do another round of culls after they have their final set of adult feathers and I can see their size and look at development of their lobes and check for an exposed or crooked keel. At that point, I do let go of some good quality birds, including at times some of my current breeders. Because of an agreement with my husband, I keep my breeding flock size between 12-14 individuals. So, if I end up with more than 14....someone has to leave!

How do you recognize faults? And where do you keep all those birds?

How do you recognize faults? And where do you keep all those birds?

Faults are easy. Too much white where their should be buff, or buff where their should be white; double lobes, bright orange bill/legs/feet, too small overall, too large overall, exposed keel bone, crooked keel bone.
If you want to breed to the standard, I highly recommend purchasing one from the APA. This blog post at the American Livestock Conservancy shows you the book and tells a little about it. Basically, its the bible of exhibition poultry for large land and waterfowl.
http://livestockconservancy.blogspot.com/2011/09/just-in-new-apa-standard-of-perfection.html
I have 9.5 acres with 3 ponds and 1,100 square feet of coops/waterfowl housing. Everyone goes into a secure structure (my husband and I run a small construction company, so think real buildings) at night. I have a 16 x12 breeding barn with 7 stalls large enough to accommodate trios of geese. However, my original pair prefers their own housing and lives in an old cedar playhouse that has been converted into part of one of my duck coops (theirs is the small part which is 6x6): I attached an older photo of it below, we have since added a small duck weathervane to the top...lol. The other building is my other duck coop. Only juvenile geese live in there.

Last edited:
1MrsMagoo I love your set up.

Thanks. It is always a work in progress. I started out with some hatchery chickens and two ducks, then added better chickens from exhibition flocks, then more ducks, then geese, then turkeys, then more ducks and geese, guineas, then more chickens. During that period of growth it always seemed like we were building additional cooping every month.

My husband said he refuses to look out the windows and see "crap-boxes" as he calls them: He wanted to build something cute that added to the property. I now have 4 structures that have a total of 1,100 square feet of cooping under roof. We may build one more goose coop/barn at the 3rd pond we put in last year and if so, I will increase my flock size a bit: Probably bump up from 13 to 18 or so.
I am reducing my other flocks: Cut down to only the breeds I show in the ducks (Saxony, Welsh Harlequin, Silver Appleyard), chickens (Barred Rock, New Hampshire, Ameraucana, and LF + Bantam Cornish), and turkeys (Beltsville Small White and Narragansett)....I am trying to keep the numbers under 175 if possible: I started at over 300 and the feed bill was scary.

Back
Top Bottom