Ponape Breeding Group

Yashar

New Egg
11 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Oneonta, New York
I have a group of 3 adult hens and a roo.
Hens are all black.
I'm getting this listing put up and I'll add pictures real soon.
This is a one of the hens that recently had a beautiful clutch hatch. 9 out of 10!

I'm asking for $300 plus shipping. I have a shipper I can use at no extra cost.

Here is an older listing I had for eggs. You can check it out for more info... There's a link on that page too for an article about this class of bird.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ponape-rapanui-hatching-eggs.988420/

IMG_2616.JPG
IMG_2625.JPG

This a very good season to ship birds. Not too hot not too cold...

P.S.
In the past I've practically given these birds away. Every time I do though, I wonder if the receiver will really value what they have received.
These are fairly rare specimens, a genetic bank if you will, of un-modernized birds. Domestic, yes. But "unimproved."

I had the pleasure of watching a mother raise her 5 chicks over the past 2 months. It was the first time a allowed this breed to completely do so. Almost entirely independently. I only gave them a little food on occasion after the first month or so. I was amazed at what I saw. The mother hen allowed the rooster to become part of the group, but not the other hens. The interaction was much different than what I've seen in other breeds I've raised.
There is something really wonderful in maintaining or stewarding these breeds.
In the years to come I think we will find ourselves very grateful we did not loose these genetics.
~Yashar

These birds don't react much like regular domestic birds and are much more similar to the jungle fowl that I've had in their reaction to an open cage (they bolt through any crack in an instant). Luckily these birds are very relaxed around me and have become very tame by being offered live food by hand. Now they still bolt out the door but allow me to pick them up and put them back in the run. Good fliers at a young age. It will be interesting to see how they mature. I'm going to keep some pure but I'll also mix some into some of my future free-rangers. Seems like they have some real natural awareness.

I've had terrible devistation from raccoon attack. I went out of town only to find that 3 of my 9 Ponape (as well as about 10 other chickens) were killed by a raccoon. I reinforced every spot that seemed likely to be a problem and set out two traps. I caught a raccoon and an opossum but also lost two more Ponapes! So now I'm down to 4...which I've moved back into my shed. I've got to hold on to these last ones and hope for at least a pair.

Back
Top Bottom