Waterfowllady

Songster
5 Years
Nov 3, 2018
California
So I have a 4'x4'x37" pool I plan on using for some smaller ornamental duck species but if it is possible I'd like to build a pond. I could do a full on drain with the plumbing and all but I have lots going on and don't know if I want to take that on as another project. I heard about someone using a sewage pump to drain their pond (not a huge one) and have also heard that the oil inside of some of them can leak out and damage the birds. Can I use a sewage or some other type of pump that can pump duck waste to drain my pond? It wouldn't stay in it, it would be removed and only used in short intervals to drain said pond. I've heard the oil only leaks if it sits in water for prolonged periods, would that make it safe as long as it is only used to drain as needed and nothing else or is that still a hazard? Can I get a sewage pump with no oil or do I have to just scratch that idea and does anyone have some other ideas?
Thank you!

Not sure how large of a pond you are considering. I know that the submersible pumps do need oil inside motor portion to operate. Otherwise they would overheat, and seize up. If pump is relatively new and not abused, the oil should not leak out from the motor. If you intend to take out after use, I think you would be just fine. Clean up and store in your garage, and things should last/hold up well for a long time.
If you just want to pump water out, and quickly, consider something 2x the price, but on land (not submersible) with a hose placed into pond. The discharge hose would direct water wherever you desired.
image_2021-01-31_030352.png

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Normal electric pumps have no oil in them. The problem is they clog with the muck from the ducks. I used a pump like this last year just fine, i used it to pump the bulk of the water then opened the drain to get out the sludge. I think a sewage pump would be fine, who cares if trace oil contaminates the water when its getting pumped out.

Back
Top Bottom