Poop Scoop

TheSpiceGirls

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Bay Area, CA

Anyone use one of these as a poop scoop? I was thinking I could put a screen over the catcher instead of a bag. And I could quickly scoop poop out of the sand in my coop.

I know people love sand. But the kitty litter scoop leaves too much behind. So I was looking for a better option.

I've used a reptile sand sifter. Bought it at a pet store when I kept small reptiles. Maybe try a flour/powdered sugar sifter? But I would imagine a smaller screen like screen door mesh would work. Would just be hard to form it any way but flag though I would think.

I found this on Amazon.com for $1.77. Cost me more to have it shipped. I'm thinking it will be perfect for my set up. I have a very small coop with 6 hens so I don't need anything very big. My only hesitation is that the screen might be too fine. But I suppose I could drill holes in it or remove it and replace it with something else.

Can't wait for it to come in the mail.

Anyone use one of these as a poop scoop? I was thinking I could put a screen over the catcher instead of a bag. And I could quickly scoop poop out of the sand in my coop.

I know people love sand. But the kitty litter scoop leaves too much behind. So I was looking for a better option.
So do you have sand under your roosts? how often do you scoop?
I recently installed a "poop board" and redesigned the roost to be horizontal. I spread horse stall pellets on the poop board and haven't had to clean the coop our for months. No smell, and the coop floor stays clean!
Guess I'm just lazy! (oh and have 2 small kiddos that keep me from my other hobbies!
tongue.png
)
Some interesting poop pickeruppers on this post though!!

I'd LOVE to have poop boards. But my coop is so small that I might as well just let them poop on the floor if I do that.

I had used sand for a long while and really liked it. It's super easy to scoop up the poops in the morning if you have the right tool. And the poop breaks down much faster in the compost bin if you don't have all those shavings in there.

I switched to shavings in the winter because I felt it would be warmer but just put back sand yesterday. I do like it better.

One could actually get away with a fairly small poop board, perhaps 5" wide..
I find the poop is always lined up all in a row under the roost..You would just have to make sure the board is directly under the landing zone..lol

Wood chips make for a softer landing for a bird jumping off a roost. If a roost was quite high off the floor, chips would be better litter than sand.

@ TheSpiceGirls - Very cute coop!
Thank you. But I can take no credit for it, except for ordering it. I feel in love with it online. And at $400, I knew there was no way I could build a nicer one any cheeper. In hindsight, I wish I had gone one size bigger. But I am in CA so they really only go in there to lay and sleep so we're making it work.

Back
Top Bottom