Poopy, skinny Sue

Cheney

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2022
Hi there,
My name is Cheney, I am new here...I have 13 chickens. One of my girls (she is an Isa Brown, she is a year and half old). She has a poopy butt, I have bathed her a couple of times to soak off the poo (and she loves it), but she is very skinny and has been keeping to herself - the other birds are starting to pick on her. She is eating and drinking (although I think she is eating less - I don't know that they are letting her eat unless they are away from the food).

I looked up gleet - could it be that? I have given her a little greek yogurt a couple of times (I read this can help) but she doesn't seem to be getting better.

Her comb is still red and looks ok, but she is not doing very well. She is extra docile, doesn't try to run or squirm away at all.

Suggestions?

Thanks very much!

You might want to isolate her away from the rest of the chickens. If she's getting picked on, she's less likely to be eating and drinking enough. Also, there's a chance she could have something contagious.

Vent gleet is a possibility. I'd also be concerned about worms. Other possibilities I'd check for are viruses, being egg-bound (does she look like she's straining at all?), or sour crop (feel her crop and compare it to the other chickens).

The most effective but also most expensive route would be to take her to a vet (VCA animal hospitals are a nationwide chain that takes birds). If that's not an option, I would give her supportive care. Isolate her (maybe in the garage/house, especially if it's cold), give her vitamin supplements, probiotics, and electrolytes (see what your local feed store has; save-a-chick has good, inexpensive electrolytes and probiotics). I'd also get a chicken dewormer if they haven't been dewormed recently--- your feed store might have some.

Hi there,
My name is Cheney, I am new here...I have 13 chickens. One of my girls (she is an Isa Brown, she is a year and half old). She has a poopy butt, I have bathed her a couple of times to soak off the poo (and she loves it), but she is very skinny and has been keeping to herself - the other birds are starting to pick on her. She is eating and drinking (although I think she is eating less - I don't know that they are letting her eat unless they are away from the food).

I looked up gleet - could it be that? I have given her a little greek yogurt a couple of times (I read this can help) but she doesn't seem to be getting better.

Her comb is still red and looks ok, but she is not doing very well. She is extra docile, doesn't try to run or squirm away at all.

Suggestions?

Thanks very much!
Welcome to BYC!! Merry Christmas!
Good luck with your hen. :)

Put out multiple feeders and water so the food and water can't be controlled by the picking order. It doesn't have to be a lot just many places so it can't be controlled. check her poop, what do you see? Get some probiotic and electrolyte for the water. TSC has little packs. Apple cider vinegar, make a warm mash with oatmea and electrolyte water.... Clean coop, water , food dish. I just had my oldest hen go down with poopy butt/gleet. (bad smell) She was down and not getting up. eyes shut, comb down and not responsive.
I got her inside and put her in a bucket of very warm water with salt, tail and mane medicated shampoo and one table spoon of tide powder. Dried her off and put her in a recycling bin with pine shavings. Warm bath 3x a day for three days before she was ready to go back. She has been fine the last three days.

Welcome to BYC, Cheney. You've gotten some good advice.
You might also check her over for lice. Check your roosts for mites by running a white napkin over the underside. If you have coop mites you will see rust colored spots on the napkin.
You may be able to find a vet who will do a float (poop) test to check for worms.
Good luck to your hen!

Back
Top Bottom