Poorly baby chick

kublackbird

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 6, 2010
I have five, one-week old chicks. The littlest one is not doing as well as the other four. She's significantly smaller (maybe 2/3 the size of her sisters). It looks like she's eating and drinking, but she's definitely a little lethargic compared to the others. When I go to check on them she doesn't stand right up to peep at me like the others do. And rather than struggling a bit when I go to pick her up, she tends to want to sleep in my hand. I don't think she's getting picked on by the others, but I'd really like to see her bigger and with a bit more energy.

I've been feeding her a little yogurt a few times a day. She doesn't really like it, but if I dip the tip of her beak into it she'll usually take a few bites. Is there anything else I can do to help her out? As I said, she still seems to be eating and drinking, but she's kind of become my favorite (of course!) and I know they can go from so-so to deathly sick so fast. Thanks!

Is that something I can ask for at the feed store? Or just more like pedialyte?

They will probably have a product made by Durvet, it comes in a yellow foil packet. It's just called Vitamins and Electrolytes. Be very careful not to use too much. Bounce Back by Manna Pro is also good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom