Portable vs. Permanent Coop and Run

watersheild1

Hatching
Oct 24, 2015
My husband and I are new to rising chickens; will be getting three hens in about 3 months from a friend. We are looking at coop designs. He thinks a portable coop and run (about 90 lbs.) are the way to go as the chickens will have grass to eat daily (until the snow falls) and they can be moved closer to the house when it gets cold out. I haven't seen any designs so far that really support this. Everything I've looked at seems quite permanent. My thought is that the chickens need a more permanent surface for their run with sand for scratching, etc. Any advise?

My husband and I are new to rising chickens; will be getting three hens in about 3 months from a friend. We are looking at coop designs. He thinks a portable coop and run (about 90 lbs.) are the way to go as the chickens will have grass to eat daily (until the snow falls) and they can be moved closer to the house when it gets cold out. I haven't seen any designs so far that really support this. Everything I've looked at seems quite permanent. My thought is that the chickens need a more permanent surface for their run with sand for scratching, etc. Any advise?
welcome-byc.gif

I am a HUGE advocate of the pastured poultry system. In my experience, chickens on grass are healthier, have less disease problems, produce better eggs, and eat less chicken feed. Also, they LOVE picking around for bugs, and they love eating grass too. I have my flock in what is called a chicken "tractor", a lightweight, homemade portable pen with a roost and nests in it that I move every day to fresh grass. Google "chicken tractor designs" and you will find dozens of ingenious, inexpensive ideas. I live in Southeast Texas, so we rarely ever get snow (some flurries every 4 years or so), and the chickens can be out on pasture year-round. If you live in a colder climate, I would definitely recommend having a shed with deep bedding for them to live in during the winter when there's snow. If you have any questions about pastured chicken keeping, I'd love to answer them! Hope you have good success with your chickens! :)

Back
Top Bottom