Possible broken bone?

Cheevalie

Hatching
Sep 5, 2017
I have three hens, my oldest is currently molting and in bad humour as she gets very sensitive and a bit sore around this time. She gets along fairly well with my other two but today she attacked one of them, who is usually the first to get picked on in the pecking order (though as I said there usually are no major issues). I wasn't present at the time but my father actually had to go up and separate them as it turned into a full on attack. Later he told me that he couldn't see the other hen, so I went up and found her lying on the floor of the house (lega underneath her). I separated her as her comb was slightly bloody and scabby and put her in a hay filled box in the shed. She is drinking plenty of water and picking at food. She is in reasonably good spirits and is aware/interested in her surroundings. However - she seems unable to put a massive amount of weight on her legs and was lying down or attempting to balance herself whenever I tried to find the problem. There is no visible damage to the legs but we are concerned that she may have damaged a small bone or thigh etc. There is a bit of a creaking noises when she stands. I checked this issue once but left her alone after that. I have left her with food and water in the box and am checking on her frequently, just letting her rest in quiet.
I haven't had any injuries like this to deal with before so I am just wondering if anyone has had anything similar happen? The 'attack' happened in the house so it was a rather small space, she could have easily been banged off something if the other chicken was being that aggressive. I have a vet in my town as well but I'm just waiting a little while as she is in reasonably good humour.

Hello & Welcome to BYC! :D

Does she have a very prominent limp or does she just not want to stand? Can she stand on it at all? (I am just trying to gauge how bad it is so I can give my best advice on what to do). :)
I had a buff Orpington and an Easter Egger that got broken/fractured toes and they would not hardly let their injured feet touch the floor when they attempted walking. They both obviously seemed in pain as well. :(

If she is having trouble putting weight on it you can try putting her in a chicken sling to let it rest. Here's a couple of examples, you can search for more. Make sure she can reach food and water while in it.. It may just be tweaked or sprained and sore and with some time will improve. If it is a break you will need to identify where it is broken. I'm not sure about the creaking sound, but bears checking out. Many breaks can be splinted (you can also search for doing that, just make sure it is not too tight and doesn't rub. Check tightness regularly, you do not want to cut off circulation). Breaks that are up high near the hip are most difficult and often will not heal unless pinned and that would require surgery. If you are uncomfortable examining her for a break then having a vet do an xray would be good if that is an option for you.
upload_2017-9-5_11-51-44.jpeg

upload_2017-9-5_11-52-44.jpeg

Hi thanks for your responses, I had to go to work so my mother was looking after her. She is looking a bit more miserable now but she managed to turn herself round in the box (which would have been a bit awkward) so as per the complexity or full damage of the issue, I still don't know for sure... When I stood her last, she was 'leaning' back on her feet/legs a little and they were close to the ground (like a dog on bad hocks, can't think of another way to describe). She stood this way for a bit and then lay down in a roosting position, legs under her. When I brought her in she drank a lot of water and picked a bit of food, doesn't seem too interested now but it is late so she is in sleep mode. I have to move her shortly as the space she is in is where one of our dog's beds is, so I might make a larger bed just to see if she moves around during the night but still letting her rest if she doesn't. If she's still like this in the morning I will definitely take her to the vet early.
If she is having trouble putting weight on it you can try putting her in a chicken sling to let it rest. Here's a couple of examples, you can search for more. Make sure she can reach food and water while in it.. It may just be tweaked or sprained and sore and with some time will improve. If it is a break you will need to identify where it is broken. I'm not sure about the creaking sound, but bears checking out. Many breaks can be splinted (you can also search for doing that, just make sure it is not too tight and doesn't rub. Check tightness regularly, you do not want to cut off circulation). Breaks that are up high near the hip are most difficult and often will not heal unless pinned and that would require surgery. If you are uncomfortable examining her for a break then having a vet do an xray would be good if that is an option for you.
View attachment 1129374
View attachment 1129376

Does she have a very prominent limp or does she just not want to stand? Can she stand on it at all? (I am just trying to gauge how bad it is so I can give my best advice on what to do). :)
I had a buff Orpington and an Easter Egger that got broken/fractured toes and they would not hardly let their injured feet touch the floor when they attempted walking. They both obviously seemed in pain as well. :(

I took her to vet this morning and surprisingly, she could not feel any broken bones after a thorough check. She then said that her nerves coming from her back and legs were ok and that she could still feel whoch is a good sign. She said there might be some nerve damage causing temporary paralysis in one leg. She gave her some vitamins and two injections that she said could benefit and a few herbal minerals for the three hens to calm. Basically it's now a waiting game as she said it could take a few days or up to two weeks.
But Charlotte the chicken seems quite comfortable in her lil nest and managed to turn herself around last night so..it's difficult to tell. At least there was no very severe damage.

View attachment 1129374
View attachment 1129376

Good to hear that there is no break. Chickens are very resiliant and recover from some pretty awful stuff, so hopefully with time and support she will too. I'm glad you had a vet as an option and were able to get her seen. Here's hoping for a full recovery!

I took her to vet this morning and surprisingly, she could not feel any broken bones after a thorough check. She then said that her nerves coming from her back and legs were ok and that she could still feel whoch is a good sign. She said there might be some nerve damage causing temporary paralysis in one leg. She gave her some vitamins and two injections that she said could benefit and a few herbal minerals for the three hens to calm. Basically it's now a waiting game as she said it could take a few days or up to two weeks.
But Charlotte the chicken seems quite comfortable in her lil nest and managed to turn herself around last night so..it's difficult to tell. At least there was no very severe damage.

Hope she is walking up and about soon! :woot

Back
Top Bottom