Possible bumblefoot

Hamzahchickens

Hatching
Apr 23, 2024
Hello, I was observing my ducks feet and noticed a bump on one that was walking in front of me. She isn’t limping, but her bump is big! Please let me know how to identify this so I can help her!
IMG_0517.jpeg

Hello, I was observing my ducks feet and noticed a bump on one that was walking in front of me. She isn’t limping, but her bump is big! Please let me know how to identify this so I can help her!View attachment 3810016
:welcome
Soak in warm Epsom salt water [don't let her drink it it is also a laxative and can cause dehydration ] if you have a drawing ointment you can slather some on then wrap so it stays on. This procedure isn't an overnight success it take many times of soaking and using the drawing ointment. If that is a scab soaking and using the ointment will help to soften it so eventually you should be able to work the scab up being very careful not to rip off healthy skin along with it. Then you may have to pick out the pus since pus in water fowl is usually thick and yellowish. Once done pack with an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin or triple antibiotic then wrap and leave it a few days keeping her foot dry. Then check to make sure all infection is out there should be healing beginning and healthy looking skin you'll want to keep it wrapped until the wound is completely healed over with new skin.
there is also an Epsom salt poultice you can buy at TSC some have had success using it. Use it in place of the drawing salve.

Thank you so much for your response! Can I use any drawing salve, or is there a certain brand you recommend? I see people recommending antibiotic ointments without certain toxic ingredients, so I’m wondering if the same can be said about the salve.
:welcome
Soak in warm Epsom salt water [don't let her drink it it is also a laxative and can cause dehydration ] if you have a drawing ointment you can slather some on then wrap so it stays on. This procedure isn't an overnight success it take many times of soaking and using the drawing ointment. If that is a scab soaking and using the ointment will help to soften it so eventually you should be able to work the scab up being very careful not to rip off healthy skin along with it. Then you may have to pick out the pus since pus in water fowl is usually thick and yellowish. Once done pack with an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin or triple antibiotic then wrap and leave it a few days keeping her foot dry. Then check to make sure all infection is out there should be healing beginning and healthy looking skin you'll want to keep it wrapped until the wound is completely healed over with new skin.
there is also an Epsom salt poultice you can buy at TSC some have had success using it. Use it in place of the drawing salve.

Prid
is one and that one is for poultry.
Ithamol ( spelled wrong) is another but many have had good results with the Epsom salt poultice I haven’t had to use any thank goodness I was able to open the bumble up my Runner had and pop it out it was totally different than any bumble I had worked on with my chickens. No scab just like a hard marble I opened it and popped it out after 7 days of an antibiotic and soaking IMG_2286.jpeg

Here is a thread I started when I had a pekin with a bumble in the same location. I ended up having to work on this one for several months before it healed. I didn't know about the product at the time, but if I were to do it over again I think I would probably soak it, pull the scab, and anything gunky that comes with it, pack with triple antibiotic ointment, cover with gauze and vet wrap, then go back on the next day and slather the epsom salt poultice on it, rewrapping, and repeating every day over the course of the next week. When the scab heals over in the middle of treatment you can let them have a quick swim in a clean pool or bathtub, but otherwise keep them in a place where they can keep their feet dry while bandaged so they're not sitting in a wet bandage.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/should-i-pull-this-scab-off.1415545/

Will I need to rinse out the foot everyday before rewrapping ? Or do I keep it dry?
Here is a thread I started when I had a pekin with a bumble in the same location. I ended up having to work on this one for several months before it healed. I didn't know about the product at the time, but if I were to do it over again I think I would probably soak it, pull the scab, and anything gunky that comes with it, pack with triple antibiotic ointment, cover with gauze and vet wrap, then go back on the next day and slather the epsom salt poultice on it, rewrapping, and repeating every day over the course of the next week. When the scab heals over in the middle of treatment you can let them have a quick swim in a clean pool or bathtub, but otherwise keep them in a place where they can keep their feet dry while bandaged so they're not sitting in a wet bandage.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/should-i-pull-this-scab-off.1415545/

Only if it's dirty. It should still be clean from wrapping. Everything scabs over fairly quickly. When you initially remove the big scab keep it wrapped for a couple days if there is a lot of bleeding. Then you can change the bandage every day and let her swim if it's scabbed over.

Back
Top Bottom