Possible Mereks Threat?

Thing1LovesChicks

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2018
I go to a class once a week with a girl who's flock has Mereks Disease. Last week was the first class. Since the classroom is pretty small, I will very likely be sitting next to or very near her every week. Are there any chances that my flock could be exposed to Mereks? What precautions can I take to keep that from happening? I don't want to avoid her as that would be rude and she seems like a very nice person. Any ideas?
Thanks!

I wish everyone was this wise and careful. Yes, there are steps you can take, and I would also advise making friends with this gal and discuss what she can do to keep the Marek's confined to her flock since Marek's virus is one of the most long lived in the environment, surviving for weeks on clothing and shoes.

As a matter of practice, you need to have one pair of footwear you wear only to tend your chickens. It's crucial you leave these shoes or boots at home, never wearing them when you go somewhere.

The Marek's gal needs to do the same, including leaving her chicken chore clothing at home and not wearing it when she goes somewhere since chicken dander and virus laden dust can lodge in clothing fibers. You will also want to not wear the same clothes you wore to class when going out to care for the chickens.

Most avian viruses travel about the countryside on the soles of people's footwear infecting flocks far and wide. I have little doubt that's how my flock became infected with an avian virus. I didn't even know about avian viruses when I adopted my first two chickens and began my flock.

The viruses are also transmitted by wind and air, but not over miles of distance, more like neighbors next door to one another. But keeping a special pair of shoes for wear only when mingling with your chickens is the single most important thing to do to prevent spreading the disease or bringing it home to your chickens.

Thank you for answering and for the advice!
I will definitely do that. I'm just glad that she told me right away! :)
I do have "chicken boots," and I will be sure to keep them separate from the shoes that I'll be wearing to class. Last week when I got home I showered and changed my clothes before heading out to my flock as a precaution. I can continue to do this.
I wasn't sure how easily it could spread, so very good to know!
Thank you again!

I never thought about this! I have some fellow classmates that are chicken owners and one is Mareks positive. Luckily my roo that I got from them didn't infect my entire flock.
Oh dear. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but if your rooster came from a flock that was carrying the Marek's virus when your roo was growing up in the flock, he has been exposed to the virus and is almost certain to be a carrier. If your classmate only found out recently the virus is present but doesn't know how far back the flock was exposed, the rooster should be considered a carrier.

This means that Marek's is lurking in his cells and unless he becomes resistant to the virus, he may some day become symptomatic. Meanwhile he is shedding the virus in his feather dander and poop and passing the virus to the hens he mates with.

You need to assume your flock is Marek's positive unless you get another diagnosis when a chicken happens to die and you have a necropsy done on the body to rule out Marek's or another virus. It would be well to practice all the bio-safeguards you would if knowing for sure your flock carries Marek's.

Oh dear. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but if your rooster came from a flock that was carrying the Marek's virus when your roo was growing up in the flock, he has been exposed to the virus and is almost certain to be a carrier. If your classmate only found out recently the virus is present but doesn't know how far back the flock was exposed, the rooster should be considered a carrier.

This means that Marek's is lurking in his cells and unless he becomes resistant to the virus, he may some day become symptomatic. Meanwhile he is shedding the virus in his feather dander and poop and passing the virus to the hens he mates with.

You need to assume your flock is Marek's positive unless you get another diagnosis when a chicken happens to die and you have a necropsy done on the body to rule out Marek's or another virus. It would be well to practice all the bio-safeguards you would if knowing for sure your flock carries Marek's.
He lasted about 2/3 months then died. He was old and also had worms.

I never thought about this! I have some fellow classmates that are chicken owners and one is Mareks positive. Luckily my roo that I got from them didn't infect my entire flock.
If your roo was exposed to Mareks then he could be a carrier, if so your flock have been exposed. My neighbor had a hen that died from Mareks. I had no idea that Mareks was that close until after the hen died and she told me about it. My rooster contracted it and became symptomatic in June, he died a week ago. He was stressed while I was gone on vacation, my daughter was caring for my flock, stress can be a trigger. So far my hens are doing well they have been exposed I just try to keep them as healthy as possible and pray I don't loose them too! Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom