Possible vent gleet? Hard white granular from inside vent

nick bulger

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 5, 2017
Portsmouth,va
Hi there yesterday I found one of my girls huddled in the corner of the coop. She stayed low to the ground at first I thought she was sitting on some eggs. Upon further inspection I noticed her vent was inflamed and white stuff was coming out. Smelled gross. I took her inside and checked for egg bound and I did not feel an egg. There was quite a bit of white gritty stuff inside. I pulled out what I could and gently flushed inside. This morning I gave her monistat. This seems like gleet but I’m wondering what the hard stuff was? Was it calcium and could a yolk have dropped or was the white chalky gritty material the urates? I could not find any info other than “white smelly discharge” nothing that referenced the consistency of the discharge. I didn’t take any pictures of the initial clean out but I can take some now if I need to. She does seem better now as compared to this morning. She seems interested in food and drink and is standing better now.

The awful smell clinches it. Vent gleet smells. It also produces white urates in over abundance and ammonia that can cause red, irritated skin around the vent.

The best thing to treat it is Medistatin. It's nystatin for birds, is a powder you sprinkle over their food. This gets it into their digestive tract where it's doing its mischief. You can buy it here. https://www.jedds.com/shop/medistatin/

Back
Top Bottom