post your chicken coop pictures here!

Do you get a lot of rain in your run? Is that ok for the chickens?
the sand around the edges gets a little damp, but it drys up pretty fast. The chickens usually will stay in the middle of the run when it rains, or go up the ramp into the coop.

My coop's almost done! I've got the hardware mesh and surrounding pavers. But I'm still too scared my doberman pup is gonna get in. She's definitely trying! They will spend most of the day alone together in the yard so the dog needs to lay off and the coop needs to be safe! It's gonna have to happen because I can't have 7 chickens in my bathroom much longer! Any advice?
This guy's system of training a dog really works! http://www.canterlc.com/StopChickenKillerDogs/blog/

My daughter and children plus one dog moved in with me. The dog killed several of my free range hens before I put my foot down. The dog was destined to be re-homed. As a last ditch effort to keep the peace I tried the training program.

Now the mixed breed beagle/chihuahua thinks the chickens are part of his pack and I am his best friend.

I had my puppy go with me while I tended the baby chicks each time I did I made her sit and watch then in a couple days I let her smell them while I held them and told her they were babies.
And when I went outside to tend the birds I had her go with me and watch so she would know they belonged to me and when she would get to excited about them I would scold her and tell her no they are babies. She can now go in any one of my pens with my birds and there is only one bird that will bite her so she tries to fight with the one bird. I get on to her when it starts. lol But this has worked for me.

That sounds like a great way to train a dog... How do u train a cat?! Lol.. Oh yeah.. You don't... My dog thinks she's a big chicken herself...

This is after she jumped the fence...

My ducks trained my cats. When they were babies they were in the brooder in my room. There was just two ducklings so it wasn't overwhelming. After their bath we would spread their towels on the bed to protect it from duck poo. The cats being cats were very curious would jump up and come over to see what we had. We would watch them very closely, they could sniff. But the ducklings let them know real quick if they were too close by biting their nose. We would keep a close eye out for retaliation but the cats ended up afraid of them. LOL.

That sounds like a great way to train a dog... How do u train a cat?! Lol.. Oh yeah.. You don't... My dog thinks she's a big chicken herself...
This is after she jumped the fence...
You have a good dog. The only time I have to get onto mine now is if the birds get wound up by something making a commotion then the dogs go into instinct mode and I have to remind them to behave!

My ducks trained my cats. When they were babies they were in the brooder in my room. There was just two ducklings so it wasn't overwhelming. After their bath we would spread their towels on the bed to protect it from duck poo. The cats being cats were very curious would jump up and come over to see what we had. We would watch them very closely, they could sniff. But the ducklings let them know real quick if they were too close by biting their nose. We would keep a close eye out for retaliation but the cats ended up afraid of them. LOL.
Ya ducks and geese will teach any other animals real quick who the boss is.... lol

Back
Top Bottom