post your chicken coop pictures here!

Move in day was yesterday. They played in and out and in again. They free ranged, and went in again. The broody was the easiest. Moved the whole nest while she was out for a walk. Showed her the nest when she was done. Plop. The other girls kept trying to get into her box to lay, so I spent the afternoon building her her own walls, in the coop. Sigh.

The other girls needed shown the roosts after dark, but that's not surprising.

Today my orpington is being a pain in the butt. She, and the others, KNOW where the boxes are, and yet she is pacing the run and going in and out, and in and out. I don't think she's happy with them. I added a curtain to one, and that made her a bit happier, but after two minutes of twirling, she got back out again. Eventually, it's just going to plop out of her, where ever she is!

I decided not to watch her any more. She's making me a nervous wreck.

On the upside, day 10 on eggs, all candles and developing well.

Hi everyone! Nice coops!! Mine is a small hand me down from my fiances family. They had chickens and a real nasty rooster when they were younger! We just need to finish the top of the area and we will be done with the chicken space! One side of their area is facing the woods so we really put a lot of work there. The left side of their area is our backyard. We have a doggie door there, and the dogs scare away all of the raccoons, skunks, and foxes that steal our cat food so I'm sure they have that side covered! I put the shingles on myself
smile.png
and single handedly broke the one in the front! Hah. I wish I could afford something a little larger but this will do. Plus it has sentimental value! <3

From later posts it sounds like you have thought things out well. But be aware, not only is the Husky (and all the other unrestrained dogs) a threat, yours is as well. More people lose chickens to their own dogs than to wild animals.

From later posts it sounds like you have thought things out well. But be aware, not only is the Husky (and all the other unrestrained dogs) a threat, yours is as well. More people lose chickens to their own dogs than to wild animals. 

Great point! That would be my worse nightmare!! One of my chicks jumped over the brooder and kind of ran under the youngest dog for protection. Haha. I would definitely never leave the dogs out unsupervised with the chickens though. I'd hate for them to just get into that instinctual mode and it would probably be best to just avoid that temptation for them all together. Less stress for all species. I worry about that when I'm at work a lot because my dog is inside with the chicks all day. He seems more interested in (sorry for this, it's gross) eating their poo. Ughck!

Well.. A few hours have passed. I'm about to lock them down for the night. Heard something funny from mommy and .....

Looks like it's time to build that bigger coop... BABIES ARE HERE!!!!

Hi! It is warming up here in Kansas and I was wondering if anyone has some good ideas for chickens to play and have tons of fun with. Thanks!
1f603.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f414.png

Hi! It is warming up here in Kansas and I was wondering if anyone has some good ideas for chickens to play and have tons of fun with. Thanks!
1f603.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f414.png

Let loose some baby mice out their run and let them go at it? LOL. Seriously, am also interested in hearing some ideas for chicken fun.

Back
Top Bottom