post your chicken coop pictures here!

Our first for two frizzle whin

Why do they need supplemental heat? If they are fully feathered they already have the means to keep themselves warm.
they only weigh about 10 oz or so...I'm not sure if they would be able to keep warm enough here in the western upper peninsula of Michigan....winter is long and harsh....the only predictable thing about it, is the long part...can start to snow in October and doesn't quit till April....I actually went down hill skiing on April 16th once! Temps range from mid 30s to -20....I'm just not sure if the little guys can handle it.

they only weigh about 10 oz or so...I'm not sure if they would be able to keep warm enough here in the western upper peninsula of Michigan....winter is long and harsh....the only predictable thing about it, is the long part...can start to snow in October and doesn't quit till April....I actually went down hill skiing on April 16th once! Temps range from mid 30s to -20....I'm just not sure if the little guys can handle it.
Feathered in chicks can handle just about anything an adult can.

Of course perhaps the size of the chicken may matter however living in Colorado I've seen it get down to -35F and have never used supplemental heat and haven't had an issue with chickens freezing. I've worked on a farm/ ranch with 250+ down to my small flock of 5.

Serama chickens are supposed to be the smallest breed of chicken...I've got an rooster that is about 8 inches tall....that's including his comb...about the size of a robin....he will fit into a parakeet cage....I can catch him with one hand.....thumb and middle fingers can almost touch around him with his wings folded...I'm considering a small radiant heat panel on the ceiling over the perches...I have in mind a nice little coop...with good ventilation, but not drafty. Maintaining the coop temp around 40 degrees? Warmer if they are on the perches. They will have free access to a covered enclosed run. With wind block on the north, east and west sides. The south facing side will be open to the sun....as much as we get. The floor of the run is a mixture of saw shavings, compost, dirt....sand...nice and dry...they are tolerating 40-50 degrees in the porch right now....I've got to do some more thinking on the design. I'm open to any suggestions! My flock of laying birds stay nice and comfy in their unheated coop, but some would feel that the coop is to small for 30 or so standard size birds....but they only sleep in the coop....and of course use the nest boxes. They spend the day out in the 10 x 25 ft covered run...with numerous perches...the little guys would be built into the other end of that run. Well gotta do some thinking. Thanks for the input guys and gals! Much appreciated! If anyone has any ideas...I'd be happy to hear about them....jan

Back
Top Bottom