post your chicken coop pictures here!

Same problem here, so I built a shelter, too.

Then I built a new coop inside the shelter.

Then I built removable wooden panels for all open sides of the coop for winter. Easy to put on when it turns cool and take off when it turns warm. So far it has done very well through a couple of winters. I also made a poop sling. Very easy to keep fresh straw in it. This shows how the panels fit.

Poop sling made of water proof fabric and heavy duty snaps. So easy to clean.

I remember the posts of your build as you made improvements. I love the idea of the sling and tried to figure a way to put it in my little 4x4 Barn Coop but it took too much space so we settled on using cardboard and it's been easy to remove for a new floor of cardboard once a week. As long as there are plentiful cardboard boxes to break down we're okay
big_smile.png
-- Chickens are never inside the coop except to lay an egg or roost for the night.

In summer we use the open-wire dog kennel floor so poop goes straight down and only use a brush to remove any poop that might stick.

Those bins there for laying nests, what are they and where can you get them?

They look like upside-down tote storage containers with lids on the bottom instead of on top -- and then are cut out. Totes have been used a lot as nestboxes. Here's a Homz Kids stacking tote I use for our indoor hospital pen - this is perfect for Silkies and there are larger sizes for larger chickens and there's nothing to cut out - these are getting harder to find so I'm glad I got these when I did:

1e78aab8-1dd7-44c6-9222-70df37f8b402_1.667a411223618cb13624c8870ef5678b.jpeg

THIS HOMZ TOTE IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE IN BLACK ON WALMART'S ONLINE WEBSITE FOR $18@

Last edited:
THIS IS THE LARGER HOMZ STACKING TOTE THAT WOULD WORK WELL FOR LARGE FOWL. I LIKE THE SOLID RAISED LIP AT THE BOTTOM FRONT THAT KEEPS STRAW/BEDDING OR EGGS FROM ROLLING OUT. MY HENS LOVE USING THESE QUIET SECLUDED TOTES AS NESTBOXES AND ALL THE ENTRANCE EDGES ARE SMOOTH SO NO ROUGH EDGES FROM USING SCISSORS WHEN CUTTING OUT HOLES IN REGULAR TOTES.

I am in Louisiana and have to have super ventilation and be in the shade. So I built panels that can be added in the winter. I just put the panels up yesterday.

I'm in south louisiana to. My biggest issue was to keep them cool. In summer. In the winter I use a tarp to cover the nesting area, I'm a little embrace it's not as cool as all of yours. Lol it won't load the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom