Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: I was thinking of calculating the costs, but since I don't have exact numbers on the cost of the coop build I decided against it. Probably better that way. I guestimated about 1000 euros in so far, calculating with organic eggs, which is what I buy if we need to, I calculate we'll break even in about 20 months, not taking feed into account. Or the fact that our eggs are a lot smaller. Or the fact that I don't think we really spent 600 euros on eggs per year. But in reality, I think a bit over 2 years will be pretty much close enough to the truth. Not that bad really.

Quote: I was thinking of calculating the costs, but since I don't have exact numbers on the cost of the coop build I decided against it. Probably better that way. I guestimated about 1000 euros in so far, calculating with organic eggs, which is what I buy if we need to, I calculate we'll break even in about 20 months, not taking feed into account. Or the fact that our eggs are a lot smaller. Or the fact that I don't think we really spent 600 euros on eggs per year. But in reality, I think a bit over 2 years will be pretty much close enough to the truth. Not that bad really.
Oh, and what you need to factor in is that by composting the poop and bedding, you get free soil and fertilizer for your garden, leading to a better yield. More columns to add.

Oh, and what you need to factor in is that by composting the poop and bedding, you get free soil and fertilizer for your garden, leading to a better yield. More columns to add.

Oh no! i deliberately didn't include the cost of my coop or the feeders. I didn't keep track. More like didn't want to know. And i have no idea how to figure in the cost or the power for the lights and water heater. And as all old farmers know all natural fertilizer is free but for the shoveling.

First egg ever! Cleaned the coop this morning then found the egg this evening!

Got my first Olive Eggs and Dark Brown Eggs today!!!

I have a Maran Rooster and Easter Egger and Welsummer Hens.

VERY happy with the outcome!!!

They look nice! You SHOULD be pleased! :) I'm just waiting for the second one to start laying. I'm sure it'll be the barred rock, and I hope it'll be within this week!
barnie.gif

Not sure exactly when (last 2 dayz) haven't been checking every day cause I was getting disappointed. Not finding any. Well went out today and when I let them out to free range I noticed that they were singing a little more vigorously. after moving the tractor decided to check, and low and behold 5 eggs! What a joyful day! :) not sure who laid what? They are 23 weeks old 2 Wyandotte, 2 Russian orloff, 2 lakenvelder, 1 golden sp hamburg
and btw cooked the three small ones, deliciousness! Much Harder shells than I'm used too more orange also

Last edited:
Not sure exactly when (last 2 dayz) haven't been checking every day cause I was getting disappointed. Not finding any. Well went out today and when I let them out to free range I noticed that they were singing a little more vigorously. after moving the tractor decided to check, and low and behold 5 eggs! What a joyful day!:)not sure who laid what? They are 23 weeks old 2 Wyandotte, 2 Russian orloff, 2 lakenvelder, 1 golden sp hamburg
Wow! You hit the mother load all at once! Our barred rock keeps going in and out of the one empty next box, and at one point even climbed into the same nestbox with Buffy while she was laying her daily egg, but she jumps back out again. She's about ready, though! Her comb and wattles are getting darker red and jiggly, and I think it'll be any time now!
woot.gif

Thank you very much! I noticed that one of my Wyandotte her comb seems kinda swollen and she squats and clucks really funny when I go to grab her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom