POULTRY IN ACTION picture contest cinco de mayo hatch-a-long

LOL super cute!!! My duckings do the same things I find it adorable. The other day I put my ducklings outside for the day in a pen attached to my deck. I left my house doors open for fresh air and a little later found they had may there way up the deck and through the house and back to the bathroom where their brooder is lol smart duckies.

But no video entries dont count, just pics for this contest sorry

love.gif

What type of duck is the dark one? I have a duckling that looks like it might be feathering in that color?

I took these ducks in from a nearby Police Department. Someone had left them at a school in town. I have been told by a few people that it is a Rouen.

I took these ducks in from a nearby Police Department. Someone had left them at a school in town. I have been told by a few people that it is a Rouen.
Yep, a rouen & a pekin. It's too big for the age to be a mallard. Rouens are just slightly smaller than pekins but a mallard would be half as big as the rouen. Calls also come in this color (it's called grey for the grey mallards they get their coloring from) but a call would be even smaller than a mallard.

Yep, a rouen & a pekin. It's too big for the age to be a mallard. Rouens are just slightly smaller than pekins but a mallard would be half as big as the rouen. Calls also come in this color (it's called grey for the grey mallards they get their coloring from) but a call would be even smaller than a mallard.

I am so thankful for all of your advice. I started reading Storey's guide to ducks, so hopefully I can learn how to be a good caretaker of these guys.

Quote: No problem hon. If there's something I haven't come across myself I know several people who have had ducks longer than I have who probably have. I've found ducks actually tend to be a bit easier than chickens (other than they like to make BIG water & mud messes). They are much more weather tolerant than most chickens & you usually don't have to worry about them getting cold or wet because they are so much better insulated than chicks. My birds were in their pools all winter as long as they could get through the layer of ice on the top. We had a few times that didn't work too well because the pools turned into solid blocks of ice for several days straight & it was all we could do to keep water buckets defrosted so they could drink & clear their nares. We went out most days & dumped buckets of hot water over the ice in the pools just to let them get in for a while before they iced over again. They didn't care how cold it was, they went swimming as long as there was water to climb into.

I was surprised to read that ducks were better suited to cold weather. Hopefully I can get them set up right. I researched chickens for 2 years before I finally decided I was ready to bring them home!

Back
Top Bottom