Poultry Lice?

FuzzyOwlFeet

Songster
May 5, 2021
This is why you should always quarantine new birds and avoid buying adults whenever possible.

On one of my previous threads I was contacted by a breeder and bought her retired BLRW breeding stock. I was excited, these are my dream chickens!

They are in quarantine pens so I can monitor their health, I'm already treating Scaly Leg Mites (Thank you Kiki!)
While holding one of the chickens to put petroleum jelly on his feet, I noticed these nasty things all over him:
20210607_192758.jpg

After doing a Google search I think they look like lice. I have "Pure Planet Poultry Spray" but it only says it kills mites, fleas, ticks, and bed bugs. I also have some permethrin but I'm not sure how old it is.
On Wednesday I will be heading to town (I live 45 minutes from any decent town) and I can pick up something better then. But what exactly do I need to buy and do to treat him?

Permethrin is the most common poultry stray for lice and mites
I did some reading online and I think I'm going to get some Elector PSP. It's pricey, but I read that I only have to apply it once, where I've got to spray the birds again with permethrin from what I'm reading.
Use coconut oil to remove the lice eggs.
Sounds good, I'll get some on Wednesday. Thank you both!!

Poor chicken, she must have been so uncomfortable :(

I was recommended and just ordered sulfur powder for tratnent of lice because I have cats. Hopefully it works!

Poor chicken, she must have been so uncomfortable :(

I was recommended and just ordered sulfur powder for tratnent of lice because I have cats. Hopefully it works!
I know, I feel terrible for not noticing it the first day. It's hard to see when you're just looking at them walking around, but as soon as I picked them up and started messing with them I can see these ugly eggs on just about every feather.

That's actually good to know, I have 3 barn cats I let in the chicken houses regularly.

I know, I feel terrible for not noticing it the first day. It's hard to see when you're just looking at them walking around, but as soon as I picked them up and started messing with them I can see these ugly eggs on just about every feather.

That's actually good to know, I have 3 barn cats I let in the chicken houses regularly.
:hugs It’s okay, it happens.

I was also kicking myself for not investigating further when my broody was itching her beard. It wasn’t until a week later when I saw her do it for the nth time that I thought to look into it :(

It’s awesome that the your new birds now have you to take care of them. It sounds like they’re going to be happy, healthy and pampered! I can’t imagine what their old life was like, scaly leg mites and lice... yikes!

Permethrin is the most common poultry stray for lice and mites
I actually changed my mind (I am scatter brained, surprised my head is still on my shoulders) I'm going to do permethrin.
Do I apply it straight onto my birds or just their enclosure? The directions on the bottle are grossly vague. Would do I do it all over the top of their feathers or lift them up and soak the skin?

:hugs It’s okay, it happens.

I was also kicking myself for not investigating further when my broody was itching her beard. It wasn’t until a week later when I saw her do it for the nth time that I thought to look into it :(

It’s awesome that the your new birds now have you to take care of them. It sounds like they’re going to be happy, healthy and pampered! I can’t imagine what their old life was like, scaly leg mites and lice... yikes!
I'm definitely going to do everything I can to give these birds a healthier life, I'm debating if I should send a text to the breeder to let her know how unhealthy they are or if that might come across rude... I'm not sure how she'd take it. She's nice but can most certainly have an attitude if she wants to.

Back
Top Bottom