PoultryFest 2009 (Chicken Chariot Racing results are in)

LittleChickenRacingTeam

On vacation
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Ontario, CANADA
Well, it was an interesting day at the races.

My polish bantam Magda, who had proved to be promising while training at home, would not go into the starting chute come race day. She threw a fit every time we hooked the chariot up & tried to place her in the starting gate.

Facing disqualification, we had 10 mins to get a bird loaded & ready to race.

We pulled Lucky, our 3 time champion out of retirement, & although she had not been training for racing this year, this was our only hope.

Lucky is 11 years old, overweight, her vision is failing, & by no means in racing form. We had brought her to PoultryFest to cheer on Magda, our young upstart entry into the challenging & gruelling sport of Chicken Chariot Racing.

This was the first time in the 7 years I've been involved in racing that I was nervous. There is some significant off track wagering that goes along with the Championship race. I was worried that Lucky might just keel over, do to lack of conditioning & training for a race of this caliber.

I seriously considering withdrawing from the race, but my friend told me I should race anyways, as many fans & spectators had come to the event, just to see the LittleChickenRacingTeam compete.

The crowd was cheering when they saw Lucky step into the starting gate.

LUCKY....LUCKY....LUCKY was reverberating through the grandstand. It brought a tear to me eye.

Before I give the results let's look at a few pics from the day....

A young woman & her silkie roo were a crowd favourite. Unfortunately they didn't make it to the finals.
IMG_0290edit.jpg

The army cadets had their own rooster entered. He didn't make it to the finals either.
IMG_0298edit.jpg

Some of the chariots on display at this years event. There are prizes for fastest bird & best dressed chariot.
IMG_0295edit.jpg

Lucky & Magda in the racing pits.
IMG_0297edit.jpg

The Official Track. 4 lanes wide & 50 feet long.
IMG_0305edit.jpg

The crowd gathers.
IMG_0304edit.jpg

Contestants are hooked up to their chariots & loaded into the starting gate.
IMG_0307edit.jpg

IMG_0316edit.jpg

IMG_0314edit.jpg

This chook is ready to race.
IMG_0306edit.jpg

This roo was more interested the pretty lady than listening to his owners instructions.
IMG_0311edit.jpg

I think someone is going in the wrong direction.
IMG_0309edit.jpg

Some racing pics.
IMG_0322edit.jpg

IMG_0348edit.jpg

IMG_0343edit.jpg

IMG_0351edit.jpg

Check out the crazy guy with the chicken hat filming the event. Oh wait that's me. LOL
IMG_0354edit.jpg

This poor roo not only had to pull a pink chariot, but his toenails were painted pink as well.
IMG_0324edit.jpg

These people are catching the chickens as they cross the finish line, so that the chariots can be removed & the chooks don't escape into the fairgrounds.
IMG_0357edit.jpg

IMG_0358edit.jpg

Sometimes a chicken is too fast for them to catch & escapes into the crowd. Just like Lucky did after winning her qualifier for the final championship race.
IMG_0359edit.jpg

Psst...Lucky, I got a grape. Now hold still so I can catch you.
IMG_0360edit.jpg

I will be uploading video of the final race shortly.....

There can be only 1 winner at PoultryFest, & this year your 2009 Chicken Chariot Race Champion is .....

LUCKY.......pulling the Lucky Bucket, & team owner LittleChickenRacingTeam

That's 4 championships & 1 second place finish in 7 years of racing, making us the most winning Chicken Chariot Racing Champion in the history of the sport in Southern Ontario, CANADA.

IMG_0365edit.jpg

IMG_0370edit.jpg

Me & my friend Donna & the Luckster show off our trophy. Notice I'm wearing my BYC topless chicks T-shirt
IMG_0380edit.jpg

IMG_0385edit.jpg

That seems like it would be so much fun to watch!

Congratulations on your victory. Will you be entering Lucky in the Chicken Chariot Olympics?
big_smile.png

This is so cool, I've never heard of chicken chariot racing, I wonder if they have this sport in Australia because I have never ever heard of it till today.
Congratulations to little chicken racing team. I'm going to train one of my bantams to run with a chariot, I've got a really fast hen who I can bearly catch she's that fast lol

Back
Top Bottom