Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chavira777

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Hey flock friends!

My hubs and I have 6 chicks about 1.5 weeks old right now. We're trying to figure out what type of coop to go with. Maybe you more seasoned chicken folk could help in the decision making process?

We found this one on Craigslist.
Coop A:

Chicken Coop Dimensions:
Outside Dimensions:
112 in(L)x42in(H)x43in(W).
Outside Dimensions Without Nesting box:
112 in(L)x42in(H)x28.7in(W).

Total Run Area Is About 76.4" long x 16.4" deep.

It's hard to tell if this would be sturdy enough for our ladies. Or if it'd be enough space for them, if we'd also be turning them out into our yard on most days.

This is the other coop that we have our eyes on, that seems better suited to us, but is more expensive. It's made by a gentlemen who makes awesome coops near us in Orting, WA. He has one that is 6' tall so you could walk in, i love love love that one, but couldn't spend the $ on it now.
Coop B:

If you go with B, I would ask for a poop board or maybe see if he'll put in linoleum. It can really help with the clean-up.

Most of these type coops have very small runs. It makes me sad to think of six hens in small runs. The coops MAY be fine (the second coop is likely better made than the first; often the pre-fab coops have limited life spans due to the quality of the wood used).

I always suggest dog kennels for runs instead of these type of runs. For example (what we made for my son and he has four hens). These are quite easy for two people to put together:

And our first coop and run (right now seven hens):

Matthews coop for his four hens is 4 x 4; ours is 4 x 8.

Gail

The first one is smaller than 3x4. Too small for 6. The 2nd looks like about 4x4, again too small for 6. Think outside the box when cruising CL. There's a ton of options out there that with a hammer, saw, time and imagination can make a fun coop.

Back
Top Bottom