Predator apron help in rocky area

kathy32

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 15, 2018
I'm looking for some help figuring out how to add a predator apron to my existing run. Its a large run, kind of triangular shaped, on a hill in New England, so the area is extremely rocky. We have seen a lot of coyotes and foxes recently, and I'm also sick of my dogs pushing under the fence to get chicken feed (Labs, sigh) and leaving holes where chickens can escape. Two sides of the run back up to a wooded hillside gently sloping away from the coop, and the third side is in the yard. I'm wondering if on the wooded sides, can I get away with covering the apron with leaves, brush, etc instead of digging down? I could also cover the apron with straw bales? On the yard side, my kids run barefoot so I think I have no choice but to bury it completely.
I'm also planning on redoing the fencing at the same time. Do people get 2x3 fencing and just bend it? Or do I attach two strips? I'm having trouble envisioning it. Thanks in advance for recommendations for any suggestions or thoughts!

It should work if you set the apron on top of the ground and cover it with leaves, gravel, topsoil, sand, etc. You don't want to place large items like rocks or straw bales on it because then the predators will dig farther back which defeats the purpose of the apron.

It should work if you set the apron on top of the ground and cover it with leaves, gravel, topsoil, sand, etc. You don't want to place large items like rocks or straw bales on it because then the predators will dig farther back which defeats the purpose of the apron.
Oh my gosh, that seems so obvious now that you say it. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom