Predator Apron Material

crlove25

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Hi, We are in the building process of our run and I have watched videos about using hardware cloth for the apron around the run. My husband wants to use left over chicken wire that we have. Will the chicken wire be enough to use as a predator apron?

Hi, We are in the building process of our run and I have watched videos about using hardware cloth for the apron around the run. My husband wants to use left over chicken wire that we have. Will the chicken wire be enough to use as a predator apron?
Unfortunately no. It rusts quickly and isn't strong enough. You could also use 2x4 welded wire.

Chicken wire just ins't strong enough. I've used hardware wire with good success. 2x4 welded wire might work OK but there's animals that would squeeze through that like a possum

It lays on top of the ground, 18 inches out covered with now decomposed leaves and coop poop.
Yes. Its still there. All these years i have always done it this way.
Im sure if i dug it all up, i would find spots where it has deteriorated but not enough to warrant a redo.

It lays on top of the ground, 18 inches out covered with now decomposed leaves and coop poop.
Yes. Its still there. All these years i have always done it this way.
Im sure if i dug it all up, i would find spots where it has deteriorated but not enough to warrant a redo.
How fast it 'rots' can really depend on how wet it stays.
And if it's never 'tested'(by something trying to dig thru it) whose to say it's not 'good'.

Back
Top Bottom