Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Possibly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ashley135

Hatching
Dec 24, 2017
Hi everyone!
I'm new to the page because I'm seeking some advice about the breeding of my mini rex doe.
I'm new to breeding my pedigree show rabbits and I'm hoping someone could give me some hope for this pregnancy! My doe was breed 28 days ago with 2 "fall off's" from my buck. I put her nesting box into the cage this afternoon but I dont see any changes in my rabbits appearance. I tried to palpate her but being that this is my first time breeding I couldn't find anything that was different... Her fur on her hind legs is a little loose, like 5 or 6 little "tuffs" of fur popping out that can just be brushed away, is this maybe a sign that she has the extra fur to line the nest box? My heart will be so broken if this turns out to be a dud breeding...

It's been years since I raised/bred rabbits but from what I can remember ...

What did you put in the nest box? Don't use shredded paper unless it's a "micro" cut, kits can get tangled/strangled in the strips. Shavings is good. Can't recall what gestation is, thinking 28 - 32 days. She will pull fur from herself to line the nest. IF she's pregnant, she should be looking "bigger". A "fall off" does not mean pregnancy, sorry. They also do suffer "false" pregnancy.

Palpating is easy but this late in the game, I really wouldn't advise it. Instead you could try laying her on her back & see if you see movement or take her to a Vet & have him show you how to palpate ... Hold her facing you with an arm place it between her front legs lifting her hind up in the air, with your fingers feel along the sides of the abdomen for what will feel like marbles.

I put a an inch and a half of pine shavings and stuffed it with wheat straw, made a little dip in it for her to get started if she was going to build a nest, then put a little pile of the straw in the corner of the cage.
I'm really disappointed that she probably wont have babies but I guess ill just have to wait and see... Thank you for your reply!

Don't worry yet. Most does won't have their babies until day 31 of gestation, as it is the average. Does with larger litters tend to kindle earlier, and does with small litters slightly later, but it varies with each litter and individual animal.

It sounds like you've started a good nest for your doe. I use shavings with a layer of timothy hay; straw works well, too. When the doe wants, she should build a nest and eventually add fur. Some does pull fur a few days before kindling, while others (most of mine, at least) pull fur only a few minutes before giving birth.

I've never been able to palpate well, so I tend to go off of physical signs and just hope for the best. My Mini Rex does usually gain between 4-8 ounces during pregnancy. My larger does can gain over a pound while pregnant. This doesn't always happen, however; I had a Mini Rex kindle four kits in October without gaining any noticeable weight. Fur loss is not a particularly reliable sign of pregnancy, and neither is nest building. Some does will have false pregnancies and pull fur/make nests without kindling. Alternatively, some does won't build suitable nests and still end up being pregnant.

Chances are your doe is probably pregnant. If she isn't, though, this isn't particularly rare. I had two litters born yesterday: 4 kits from a Mini Rex doe (second litter for her) and 5 kits from an American Sable doe (third litter for her). The Mini Rex doe had "missed" on each of her previous two breedings, and the Sable doe had missed on her previous breeding (I think her buck was too young then, but who knows). If you raise rabbits, both bad and good things just happen.

Good luck!

Gestation is 28-31 days typically, and many does will not pull fur until right before they deliver. Depends on the personality of your doe, and each is a little different. It's a bit too late now to do with this attempt, but get yourself a food scale that measures in grams and weigh her every couple days after you re-breed. If she's consistently putting on weight, she's probably preggo. Watch her when she lays on her side. You'll be able to see her normal breathing pattern, and then some odd movements by her hindquarters if she's got babies. It'll look like, well, like little aliens trying to get out. :)

We use grass hay and shredded paper (small bits not long strands), for the base of the box liner. I'll stuff it almost to the gills, and then leave a pile outside for the doe to use to finish it to her taste.

Back
Top Bottom