Prepping my Quail breeding groups before collecting eggs for hatching.

Huntmaster

Free Ranging
May 2, 2021
North West Ohio
I usually feed about a 22% Game Bird Grower for my breeding stock with oyster shell/eggshell on the side, but a few weeks before I start collecting eggs for hatching, I increase protein to around 24-25%. I also feed them back some of their excess eggs scrambled with their eggshells baked and crumbled in. I have had very good results doing this, results in a little better hatch rate with very healthy active hatchlings. Haven't had any failure to thrive or weak hatchlings since I have started doing this. Didn't have a huge problem with this before starting this process but would have one here and there and some weaker slower getting started hatchlings, with a loss of one every once in a while within 1st week after hatching. Since starting this haven't had any of these issues with the exception of maybe something going wrong with incubation which is separate issues. Any feedback on doing this from all you experienced in raising Quail/ Game Birds would be appreciated.
IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG

I usually feed about a 22% Game Bird Grower for my breeding stock with oyster shell/eggshell on the side, but a few weeks before I start collecting eggs for hatching, I increase protein to around 24-25%. I also feed them back some of their excess eggs scrambled with their eggshells baked and crumbled in. I have had very good results doing this, results in a little better hatch rate with very healthy active hatchlings. Haven't had any failure to thrive or weak hatchlings since I have started doing this. Didn't have a huge problem with this before starting this process but would have one here and there and some weaker slower getting started hatchlings, with a loss of one every once in a while within 1st week after hatching. Since starting this haven't had any of these issues with the exception of maybe something going wrong with incubation which is separate issues. Any feedback on doing this from all you experienced in raising Quail/ Game Birds would be appreciated.View attachment 3363164View attachment 3363165
What kind of quail are you hatching and raising?

Jumbo Browns and Jumbo Whites
Interesting! Well, it would be great if you could share some side by side data over a number of hatches, comparing what you are currently doing versus what the largest and most reputable hatcheries are doing.

Also, where are your bloodlines from?

I am hatching and raising Jumbo Browns from MyShire Farms and Southwest Gamebirds (JMF bloodline).

I am new to this and open to new ideas! 🥳

Interesting! Well, it would be great if you could share some side by side data over a number of hatches, comparing what you are currently doing versus what the largest and most reputable hatcheries are doing.

Also, where are your bloodlines from?

I am hatching and raising Jumbo Browns from MyShire Farms and Southwest Gamebirds (JMF bloodline).

I am new to this and open to new ideas! 🥳
All are JMF blood lines from AJ Farms/Southwest Gamebirds/KC Quail Farms. Plan on getting hatching eggs this spring from MyShire Farms. Didn't do any data on my hatches except hatch rates and fertility rates nothing on survival rates or healthy active hatchlings. But have not had any weak or unhealthy or losses in first few days/week since I have started doing this. All hatchlings have been very healthy and, on their feet/ more active than before. Never had a big problem with it before but there have been less issues from weak and fully developed unhatched incubated eggs. I usually Incubate/Hatch 50 to 100 eggs at a time so wasn't hard to notice a difference.

Last edited:
I am fairly new to breeding Quail myself but have been raising breeding other birds for many years. Raising and breeding over 10 different varieties of heritage turkeys right now and always crossing getting more varieties each year and have been raising/ breeding them for about 8 years now heavily. And from all I have experienced the healthier and less stressed parent birds are the better results you are going to have with hatchlings.

Last edited:
Just by increasing the % protein the breeding stock receives will improve the health and viability of their eggs and chicks.
Lower protein feed doesn't allow the breeding stock to be very healthy, it just allows them to maintain their weight....16 to 20% vs. 24 to 26%. Doesn't allow much in reserve for producing healthy ovums.
Too high of a % protein (30%) can also cause health problems, fatty liver disease, digestive issues and reproductive issues.
This
is why I feed a middle of the road % protein feed...24% from hatch til death.

Last edited:
Just by increasing the % protein the breeding stock receives will improve the health and viability of their eggs and chicks.
Lower protein feed doesn't allow the breeding stock to be very healthy, it just allows them to maintain their weight....16 to 20% vs. 24 to 26%. Doesn't allow much in reserve for producing healthy ovums.
Too high of a % protein (30%) can also cause health problems, fatty liver disease, digestive issues and reproductive issues.
This
is why I feed a middle of the road % protein feed...24% from hatch til death.
Yes, this is what I have noticed in my years of raising and breeding myself. And to high% I see too much fat buildup hindering reproduction and other issues. I just didn't know what % was too much for the Quail full time. For my Heritage turkeys I start them on a 28% Game Bird Starter for up to 12 weeks then switch to a 24% Game Bird Grower for life and works very well for me. With your info I think I will use same feed program for my quail but use the 28% with them up to 10 weeks then switch over to the 24%. I have seen that boosting them a few weeks before collecting eggs for hatching has made a difference just wasn't sure how much was too much. Thats why I only was doing it for a few weeks. Thank you for replying with your knowledgeable information. Edited to inform that is Heritage turkeys not BB.

Last edited:
Yes, this is what I have noticed in my years of raising and breeding myself. And to high% I see too much fat buildup hindering reproduction and other issues. I just didn't know what % was too much for the Quail full time. For my Heritage turkeys I start them on a 28% Game Bird Starter for up to 12 weeks then switch to a 24% Game Bird Grower for life and works very well for me. With your info I think I will use same feed program for my quail but use the 28% with them up to 10 weeks then switch over to the 24%. I have seen that boosting them a few weeks before collecting eggs for hatching has made a difference just wasn't sure how much was too much. Thats why I only was doing it for a few weeks. Thank you for replying with your knowledgeable information. Edited to inform that is Heritage turkeys not BB.
I was going to mention that turkeys require higher % protein, than other gamebirds but figured you knew that, anyway.
The reason for most people thinking they have to start quail out on 28 or 30% protein, is a result of those raising them for the meat or market birds. In those cases, they only care about the feed conversion rate....faster growth rate for a shorter period of time, not the longevity or health of the birds in the long run.

I had some wild Rio Grande turkeys, that I raised from day olds. I fed them 24% protein feed. The tom's weighed 32lbs. when they matured, way heavier than a wild turkey should weigh. They also didn't have any bone structure problems or any other problems from carrying that weight.

Speaking of heritage turkeys, do you raise Black Spanish?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom