Preserving eggs

ackie

previously jwehl // dogs & cats & squirrels oh my!
Nov 3, 2020
Atlanta GA
Hello! Does anyone know anything about preserving eggs?

I was looking mostly at water glassing - storing them in a water/ hydrated lime solution.

But my SO seemed to be more drawn to the idea of coating them in mineral oil.

Does anyone have any comparison of the two from personal (or heard-online-somewhere) experience?

Water glassing and coating with mineral oil are among the worst methods of preserving eggs.
Years ago, the Mother Earth News conducted an exhaustive study comparing all methods. They started with 60 dozen eggs.
The results showed that storing eggs unwashed in a sealed refrigerated container is the best method by far and will store eggs in edible condition for at least 7 months.
Water glassing kept eggs edible for up to 4 months but at least one egg in each batch was a stinker. Most of other methods were much worse.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe

Last edited:
Water glassing and coating with mineral oil are among the worst methods of preserving eggs.
Years ago, the Mother Earth News conducted an exhaustive study comparing all methods. They started with 60 dozen eggs.
The results showed that storing eggs unwashed in a sealed refrigerated container is the best method by far and will store eggs in edible condition for at least 7 months.
Water glassing kept eggs edible for up to 4 months but at least one egg in each batch was a stinker. Most of other methods were much worse.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe
I think you are kinda comparing apples to oranges unfortunately. Obviously keeping them in the refrigerator is going to be the best, but I am not blessed with infinite refrigerator space or stable cool weather, so I'm hoping to find a reasonable unrefrigerated preservation method.

I think you are kinda comparing apples to oranges unfortunately. Obviously keeping them in the refrigerator is going to be the best, but I am not blessed with infinite refrigerator space or stable cool weather, so I'm hoping to find a reasonable unrefrigerated preservation method.
You will find the information you need by reading through the entire link.
Without refrigeration, my suggestion is unwashed eggs in an airtight container in the coolest environment available (perhaps on the kitchen counter) rather than adding any other method.

Back
Top Bottom