Pricing Chicks?

BaileyJean

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
I have 10 Silkie chicks that I need to sell. They are a mixture of colors. They all have 5-toes and look like nice silkies, other than the color. They are 3-5 months old, and they are unsexed. How much do you think they are worth, or would sell for?

Check your local Craigslist, Ebay Classifieds and see what similar chicks are running. You wont be able to get as much for them as you would a pure colored chick despite the quailty most likely

You're going to have to sell them cheap until you know the gender, a lot of people want to know what they're getting.

I would try craigslist @ $40 for all or $5 each, minimum 2. Gender matters, $15 per pair is the average I see around here for bantam pairs. But good luck getting the $5 for just the boy. But add a hen and $10 to the price, and you have better luck.

For the add, I find that sales happen faster the more specific I am. Decent pictures, age, best guess on gender (unless known), type of feed they've been on, and their environment. It should go without saying, but I throw in "Bright eyed and healthy" or some other mention of their general health and conditions. Say everything you can about them honestly.

Set up a junk email account and don't use your good one, in case of spam. Put your phone number in the add. I've never sold anything via email... if they're serious, they'll call. If they're spam, they'll write one sentence. Kids without parent supervision will also email. Some people scramble their phone number, a mix of number and written numbers, like 5 one 3. Not sure why they do that, I haven't gotten any spam calls.

If you have extra roosters, mention them to everyone who shows up to buy something else! You never know. I had a lady come for a trio of Naked Necks and she took my 3 EE cockerels too.

Back
Top Bottom