Pricing eggs for donation

schatze

Songster
12 Years
Feb 25, 2011
My chickens and ducks are all pasture raised birds who eat local organic feed and whatever they find on my property. I've been selling their eggs to neighbors for $4/doz for chicken and $6/doz for duck. In the grocery store here I've seen the equivalent sell for $6/doz for chicken, and in the cities near to me the going rate is $5/doz for non-organic, large coop raised chickens.

I've been taking my extra eggs every week to the homeless shelter. Since they're being used at the shelter, I have to clean the eggs, which I normally don't do with the average person so they can be kept on the counter. When asked for a value for the receipt I've been putting $13/flat of 30 since it's a mixture of duck and chicken eggs. Is it usually the local market value? The value I charge, which is comparatively low? I'm not quite sure how to value them for this. I haven't been taking into account the price of the flats or my time cleaning the eggs.

I think (ask them to be sure) the receipt is for your income tax purposes,
to claim the value of the donated items for a deduction on your tax return.
That's been my experience with donating stuff.

If so, depends on how closely you want to calculate the cost of the eggs you are donating for said deduction.
Might want to check with your tax laws, I'd call my tax guy, might only be able to claim an average commercial cost.

I think (ask them to be sure) the receipt is for your income tax purposes,
to claim the value of the donated items for a deduction on your tax return.
That's been my experience with donating stuff.

If so, depends on how closely you want to calculate the cost of the eggs you are donating for said deduction.
Might want to check with your tax laws, I'd call my tax guy, might only be able to claim an average commercial cost.

I think you're own record keeping is normally sufficient, especially if the annual total is under $500.

It is for tax purposes. Since I take eggs there every week it comes to around $600 a year, roughly. I get a receipt every time...a whole lot of receipts. I just keep them in a file.

Back
Top Bottom