Problem with my brooder's temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigWRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 12, 2007
Wenatchee, Washington
I am having a problem keeping my brooder at the right temp. It is 4 ft by 4 ft, and right underneath the heat lamp the temp is 108, but in the corner of the brooder the temp is only 68. Will this be OK? I am thinking I may need to add a second heat lamp and figure out a way to raise them higher, but I'm not sure if I can get the lights to go higher. Any ideas?

BigW,
The brooder is 4'x4', but what kind of cover and ventilation are you using? What kind of drafts are you dealing with? What kind of room/building is it located in?
-Spence

The brooder is in the only room I have space for it, my basement. The main floor of my house is 62-66 degrees during the day and the basement is usually 10 degrees cooler than that. There are no drafts, although it is in front of a window, but it is double pained and sealed well. Here are some pictures:
100_7749-1.jpg

100_7747-1.jpg

I don't know what's going on. Now the temp right under the light is 120 degrees! The last two times I had chicks I used two 250 watt red heat lamps in a horse water trough, and the temp was at 95 degrees, I'm using a brand new light bulb this time, but other than that I don't know what is different this time. Should I use a different kind of light bulb?

I never use a 250, only a white 125 watt in the house. Same situation. Bsmt bathroom, unheated. The bathroom was around 60 degrees and when I used the small sealed oil heater on low, it came up to 65. The 125 is perfect. I may use a 250 out in the nursery coop when mine go out today at 3 weeks old, but last year, my 8 chicks went out to the coop at 4 weeks old and they only had a 125 watt hung 3 ft above the floor. So, I'd buy a 125 watt and see if that helps. Lots cheaper bulbs to buy and to run as well.

I agree with speckledhen. You have the same setup as I have, the box & light, and it is perfect for chicks.
I think you should use the regular bulb she suggested. Then take out the thermometer and put in the chicks. I think you'll find the chicks are a better guage as far as temp. If they huddle and pile up under the light, they're too cold. If they all spread out to the far reaches of the box and not under the light at all, they're too hot. If they're spread out all over with some sleeping under the light, they're just right.

I would like to make a couple of suggestions, though. I put paper towels over the shavings for the first week until the babies learn to eat the food. Otherwise they will eat shavings and could get sick. Also, I took some hardware cloth and made a cover for the light by just bending the wire around it. You'd be surprised how young chicks are when they start to fly and could get burnt on the light.

BeckyLa is correct with great advice,no need for additional heat thats for sure. If the peeps have room to move away from the heat when they get too warm, that's a good thing. While alot of peeps are lost to being chilled, it is also true that alot are overheated and exaust themselves from being too hot.

bigzio

I should clarify that I use a 125 watt heat lamp bulb, not a regular light bulb, however in your setup, a regular light bulb of that wattage should put out plenty of heat. And I find the chicks are a better guage of the temps than a thermometer, for sure. Good luck! Post pics of the new babies.

Last edited:
That looks about the size of brooder that I have and I am using and standard 100 wat light bulb. My chicks are scattered all over, so I'm sure their fine with it. I'm a newbie, but I wouldn't put my chicks in at 120 degrees. Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom