Problems baking with fresh eggs???

There A Chick

Chirping
15 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Kelley, IA
These fresh homegrown eggs are definitely different than store bought eggs (we all know that)! But we're doing some xmas baking, candy and cookies and some sweet breads and my mom and my DH think that the fresh eggs are making everything come out too hard. So, I was told to ask on the board what the deal is, if that can be true or not.

Why they think this is, is because of the divinity, some people call it sea foam, you know its that white candy stuff that you make from egg whites. My mom was making it and you whip up the egg whites and sugar until its frothy and she said that usually it takes ~forever~ to beat it to get it to that point, and this year (first year with my fresh eggs), evidently it got to the frothy thick point incredibly fast, and the resulting candy has a completely different texture, i.e. better, richer than before, and yes, HARDER. I usually hate the stuff and never eat it but this years stuff was fantastic. So, I told them it turned out so good because of the fresh eggs, it got harder, so now they're thinking that all their other baked goods got too hard because of the eggs. I don't think so, what do you guys think?

I use all my fresh eggs for baking cookies, cake. Even my DH Quail eggs are used to make yummie dessert for me and my family.
We don't have any problems here .
celebrate.gif

Make sure you have the right amount eggs. If I use normal 2 eggs for my eggwhite, I will use 10 quail eggs instead.
Maybe it's just me but I think it taste better then store bought eggs.
Maybe because I put a lot of work and love in my chickens .
wee.gif

frow.gif

If you put the frostwhite to long in the oven they will get hard too.
Good luck

The only thing I have baked that was different was cream puffs. They just would not rise like they did when I used to make them with store eggs. Other than that I usually use duck eggs as I find they are much richer than chicken eggs and better for baking.

I made brownies the other day & they weren't harder. If anything, they were richer.

I think it has to do with water content in the store eggs. I've noticed that my home eggs have whites that are much denser & firmer. The yolks have a brighter color.

If you're worried, weigh a store bought egg yolk & white separately. Make sure your home eggs measure/weigh out the same way, even if it means using 2.5 home eggs instead of a 2 store eggs (or whatever).

I love to bake pound cakes, but my cakes are coming out thicker and more dense than with store bought eggs. The cakes bought with store bought eggs have a nicer, lighter texture. Of course I want to use my eggs. Suggestions? Less eggs? Beat the eggs? Anyone else have this problem solved? Thanks!:/

The problem you are having with the farm fresh eggs in baking is that they are too fresh. If you keep them for a week or two before using in baking you will find the texture to be lighter and the rise better. The reason for this is that once the egg has aged a bit it is able to incorporate more air in it during the mixing process than when it is very fresh.

I have to keep some of our hens eggs for about a week to make meringues. There are recipes out there with the weight off egg needed or you can look up the weight of various eggs sizes and weigh yours to bake (it's what we do). Cakes, muffins etc taste so much better and I love to say thank you to our girls when we have just finished baking.

Interesting. i almost gave up on a popover recipe that used to always work. They were thick and didnt pop. The only thing i could figure out was that i was now using fresh eggs from our chickens. When i changed to store bought eggs, the popovers popped over the tin like they always used to. So i agree, fresh eggs can make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom