Problems with older and new chickens

kathyzimmy

Chirping
6 Years
May 22, 2017
I have two one year old chickens and four chicks that are about three months old. After keeping the chicks inside for several weeks, I put them in the chicken run separated from the older chickens so that they could see each other but not touch. I did that for about a month. Now they have been together for about a month, and they are not bonding well. The older chickens will not let the chicks sit on the roost, so the chicks end up sleeping in the nesting boxes and throwing out all of the straw. During the daytime, the older chicks go in the run and the chicks stay in the chicken house and also go in the nesting boxes. Quite often when I get the older chicken's eggs from the nesting boxes, they are cracked - presumably from the chicks (which are about 3/4 grown now) stepping on them. When they free roam, they stay in separate groups. Suggestions please!!!

You did a "proper" introduction but they still need to work out their pecking order.
Picture of your set up would help ...
How big is it, do they have enough room?
How much roost space do you have?
Do you extra feeders/waters set out?
You said "nesting boxes" how many do you have?
Do the 2 hens lay in the same box?
Is it possible to block off the nest boxes after the hens lay?

What you could try, may take several nights, when it's dark to out & put the chicks on the opposite side on the roost from the hens. Out in the run get a piece of plywood or baby gate & lean it so the chicks can use it as a refuge.

I'm too new at this to give any sage advice. I can only say that, so far, it's been my experience that the co-mingling takes time. Bonding takes time and can/will continue to change over time. My older hens seem to have a change in attitude towards newer girls as soon as they start laying. It's like they suddenly gain respect from the older hens. Or maybe for themselves, who knows. My two newest still stick closely together and are run off by the older girls. But, they have not yet started laying. Anyway, I'm sure there are much more experienced people on here that will be able to better guide you. Good luck and hang in there!

Here is my "chicken chapel". This picture was taken while we were still keeping the chickens separated when the chicks were smaller. I recently added a second roost. The chicks go to it, but ultimately end up in the nesting boxes. I will try to block the nesting boxes off after the chickens have already laid in them. That is a good idea. I have two nesting boxes, and all four of the chicks tend to get into one to sleep. The older chickens lay in the same box, but the box they choose each day sometimes changes. I do have two waterers. Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20180606_192051.jpg
    IMG_20180606_192051.jpg
    904.4 KB · Views: 17
Just judging by the size of the chick compared to the run, it looks to me like you might not have enough space to integrate four more birds with the two adults. Pictures can be deceiving though, what are your measurement? Do they free range at all?
The chicken house is 4' x 4' plus two nesting boxes. The run is 4' x 10'. I let them out around 3:30 each day and they free range until dark.

That will really be too crowded for 6 adults. There aren't really magic numbers, sometimes more space is needed some can get away with less. Typically the suggested minimum is 3-4 square feet of coop space per bird and 10 square feet of run space per bird. Ideally for integration you would have extra space. I personally would not try to house more than 4 birds in the space you currently have.

Last edited:
Maybe your chickens are heathens? Lol! Kidding! Seriously though your setup is a little small but that isn't what is going on. Your older hens will not accept the youngsters until they lay and contribute to the flock. Right now they're annoyances, just taking space and eating food. It will take a little while but it will work out. Try to get a little more coop space going in the meantime if you can. At night put a small divider between oldies and kids so your old girls don't have to share with the kids, as i'm sure you've seen they don't like sharing.:)

Pretty much the same experience here. The chicks, now 15 weeks old, were in a see/no touch situation in the run for a month and half starting at 2 1/2 weeks old.. The older hens do not like the 15 week olds at all, but since there's no blood, I'm not too worried about it. It'll all work itself out. All of mine free range from about 9 AM until they put themselves to bed at night. Sometimes one or two of the young ones are on the roost, sometimes not.

Back
Top Bottom