Production blues (aka Rhode Island Blues) - any health issues?

AmeliaBedelia

Crowing
Jan 23, 2021
Georgia, USA
I am debating adding a production blue, but wasn’t sure if they have the same health issues other hybrids run into or not? Everyone talks about what sweet, gentle hens they are and how they are great egg producers, but I’ve avoided hybrids in the past because I don’t want to cull a bird after only a year or two because she’s having health issues. Any experiences out there to share?

Hello! I bought three as pullets two years ago, they all got sick last year, one is still not laying. When they all laid they had double yolkers often and really wonky shells. One was egg bound two times, I almost lost her 😢😵‍💫.

My easter eggers and RIR from the same farmer have been healthy, just have feet issues from how they were raised. I won't buy pullets again.

Hello! I bought three as pullets two years ago, they all got sick last year, one is still not laying. When they all laid they had double yolkers often and really wonky shells. One was egg bound two times, I almost lost her 😢😵‍💫.

My easter eggers and RIR from the same farmer have been healthy, just have feet issues from how they were raised. I won't buy pullets again.
Thanks for the input. Thats what I was afraid of. Guess I will stick to heritage breeds!

Back
Top Bottom