Project Rocks! Working on a golden barred rock

tastybabies

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 24, 2012
Raleigh, NC
So I absolutely love my rocks. They're friendly with people, sassy with the others, great layers and great mothers. I mean, what more could you ask? Buffs and barreds were the first I ever hatched and raised and its always been a dream to bring out the golden in the barred. I'm starting this thread to keep tabs on my babies growth and feather development :). I've kept my best chick pair this summer luckily ending up with a pullet and a cockerel showing this coloring. Theyre a result of my Buff roo over my Barred hen. With my big barred roo over my buff hens, I ended up with dark barred chicks for both roos and hens. They looked incredibly like barred hens with rooster combs and wattles, very pretty im sure they'll make some pretty babies down the line.

But my glory pair are growing up quite nicely. Even though theyre from the barred hen, my buff hen took the mommy role for my chicks this year so if you see her pictured with the babes this be why.

The 4 little dark fluff balls are my Buff roo x barred hens chicks. theyre not all black, they had a dark chocolate hue to them, especially around the face.

The little ones starting to get their feathers in, they look like dirty barreds :) not quite the crisp barring seen with pure chicks it alternates black, tan, white and a few other shades inbetween. The roo im keeping has alternating widths of barring on certain areas of his back and his chest is a creamy color at this point.

This is my roo one week ago, quality not the best, was evening putting them up.

These are the two I have left today :)

Roo first, hen second, the last pic is the happy family: mama + golden barred rock chicks + nugget the sebrightxduckwing chick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom